A problem involving logarithms

• Thread starter sahilmm15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, The problem is that you are trying to simplify an expression that is not in logarithms base "e". You should divide and conquer, do each part separately, and reduce everything to logarithms base "e" using the formula ##a^b=e^{b\ln a}##.
sahilmm15
Poster has been reminded not to post images of his work -- LaTeX is the preferred way to post work at PF.
Homework Statement
$$\{ (log_2 9)^2 \}^{\frac {1} {log_2(log_2 9)} } \cdot (\sqrt 7)^\frac {1} {log_4 7}$$
Relevant Equations
$$ x^{log_a x}=a $$
This is my work. I don't know whether this is correct or not. What do you think of the problem.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_212201.jpg
    IMG_20201225_212201.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It works much better if you type your work into the forum using LaTeX. It is much easier for us to read and to quote any parts that we want to clarify/correct.

Please look at the LaTeX Guide in the lower left of the Edit window. Thank you.

Likes Vanadium 50 and sahilmm15
berkeman said:
It works much better if you type your work into the forum using LaTeX. It is much easier for us to read and to quote any parts that we want to clarify/correct.

Ya that's what I am finding difficult. I would edit it and post in latex form soon.

Likes berkeman
After full ##1## hour of grind I finally did it. It was ridiculously tough for me. I think I am now some 3 percent familiar with it , lol.

berkeman said:

sahilmm15 said:
After full ##1## hour of grind I finally did it. It was ridiculously tough for me. I think I am now some ##3## percent## familiar with it , lol.
A snip of your posted image gives the expression you are trying to simplify as:

1608925742396.png

By The Way: The ##{LaTeX}## code for ##\log_2 9## is ##\log_2 9## .

From your posted image, it appears that entire expression, ##\dfrac {1} {\log_2(\log_2 9)} \cdot
(\sqrt 7)^\left ( \dfrac {1} {\log_4 7} \right)## is to be used as the exponent for ##(\log_2 9)^2 ## .

You did correctly find that ## (\sqrt 7)^\left ( \dfrac {1} {\log_4 7} \right) = 2## .

But there are mistakes elsewhere.

Likes sahilmm15 and berkeman
I see two mistakes right now.

1. You left out the factor of 2 you derived in your step number 5

2. You forgot to set one bracket:
Your step from $$x^{2^{log_x(2)}}$$ to $$x\cdot x^{log_x(2)}$$ is wrong. There need to be brackets around both x: $$(x\cdot x)^{log_x(2)}$$ Therefore the exponent needs to be applied to both x $$x^{log_x(2)} \cdot x^{log_x(2)}$$

I think with these informations you should be able to find the correct answere. But feel free to ask additional questions.

sahilmm15 said:
Relevant Equations:: $$ x^{log_a x}=a $$
That's not correct. For instance, if ##x=16## and ##a=2##, you get
$$16^{\log_2 16} = 16^4 = 65536 \ne 2.$$

Likes sahilmm15
SammyS said:
You did correctly find that ## (\sqrt 7)^\left ( \dfrac {1} {\log_4 7} \right) ## ##= 2## .
I don't think I've even seen ##\large{\log_{A^F} C^F= \log_{A} C }## stated as a rule for logarithms, but it does work.

(In reference to you changing ##\large{\log_{(\sqrt{7})^2} 2^2}## to ## \log_{(\sqrt{7})} 2 ## .)

Last edited:
Likes sahilmm15
sahilmm15 said:
Relevant Equations:: $$ x^{log_a x}=a $$
vela said:
That's not correct. For instance, if ##x=16## and ##a=2##, you get
$$16^{\log_2 16} = 16^4 = 65536 \ne 2.$$
But ##a^{\log_a x} = x## is the corrected version.

Likes sahilmm15
sahilmm15 said:
This is my work. I don't know whether this is correct or not. What do you think of the problem.
I think it would be helpful if you divide and conquer, do each part separately, and reduce everything to logarithms base "e" using the formula ##a^b=e^{b\ln a}##. Take for example the expression ##\log_2(9)##: Let ##u=\log_2(9)##. That means ##2^u=9## or ##e^{u\ln(2)}=9##. Thus ##\log_2(9)=\frac{\ln(9)}{\ln(2)}##. Do every piece separately this way and then put all the pieces together.

Likes sahilmm15

Related to A problem involving logarithms

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. In simpler terms, it is the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. For example, the logarithm of 100 to the base 10 is 2, because 10 raised to the power of 2 equals 100.

2. What are the properties of logarithms?

There are several properties of logarithms, including the product property, quotient property, and power property. The product property states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient property states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power property states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the exponent and the logarithm of the base number.

3. How do you solve equations involving logarithms?

To solve an equation involving logarithms, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and then solve for the variable. It is important to check for extraneous solutions, which may arise when taking the logarithm of negative numbers or zero.

4. What are common applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, science, engineering, and finance. They are useful for representing very large or small numbers, as well as for solving exponential growth and decay problems. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and in the stock market to measure percentage changes in stock prices.

5. How do logarithms relate to exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are inverse functions of each other. This means that the logarithm of a number to a certain base is the exponent to which the base must be raised to equal the given number. For example, the logarithm of 100 to the base 10 is 2, and the exponent of 10 that equals 100 is also 2.