A Problem Involving Kepler's Third Law

In summary, a spacecraft on a mission to the outer planets passed through the asteroid belt and imaged an asteroid with a small moon. To determine the moon's composition and history, a proposal team was tasked with estimating its mass. Using Kepler's Third Law, the team calculated the mass of the moon to be around 1.12 x 10^16 kg, using the average density of the asteroid and its observed orbit period and separation from the asteroid. The previous error in the calculation was due to using the Sun's gravitational parameter instead of the asteroid's.
ColdFusion85

Homework Statement

A spacecraft on a mission to the outer planets passed through the asteroid belt and
imaged an asteroid with a small moon. You are on a proposal team to define a
mission to the asteroid’s moon to determine its composition and history and have
been requested to estimate the mass of the moon, which will be used to plan either
a landing or an attachment rendezvous.
You know that the moon’s period of revolution (orbit) around the asteroid has
been observed to be 1.06 days, that the asteroid itself is oblong with the
dimensions of 54x22x20 km and has a density somewhere between 2.1 and 2.9
grams/cc and the farthest separation of the moon from the asteroid in the images
is 100 km in what appears to be a circular orbit. Calculate the mass of the moon.

Homework Equations

Kepler's Third Law: P^2 = [(2pi)^2 * a^3]/[k^2 * mu], where P is the orbit period of the body, k^2 is the gravitational constant, mu is the dimensionless reduced mass, and a is the semimajor axis of the orbit.

[tex]\mu[/tex] = (1/m2)(m2+m1), where m1 is body in orbit around m2

The Attempt at a Solution

OK. First I got m2 so that I could rearrange Kepler's Third Law equation and solve for m1 (mass of the moon). I did this by multiplying the density given by the volume (dimensons given above). I converted g/cm^3 to kg/m^3 and got a density of 2500 kg/m^3. I converted the volume of the asteroid from km^3 to m^3 and got 23760 km^3 = 2.376 x 10^13 m^3. This gives a mass of 5.94 x 10^16 kg for the asteroid.

I rearranged Kepler's eqn, and got the (m2 + m1) = m2[(2pi)^2 * a^3]/[P^2 * k^2]

I assumed P is measured in seconds (1.06 days = 91584 s), k^2 was given in class notes to be 1.327 x 10^20 m^3/s^2 and and a^3 = (100km)^3 = 1E15 m^3

Carrying this out I get 2106 on the right side, and subtracting m2 I get a negative value for the mass of m1 = -5.94E16. This is obviously wrong and I expect the mass of the moon to be much less than the mass of the asteroid. What am I doing wrong here? Am I using incorrect units/numbers somewhere in my assumptions or conversions above? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I forgot to mention that we were told to use the average density above, so that is why I used 2.5 g/cm^3

Anyone?

ColdFusion85 said:
What am I doing wrong here? Am I using incorrect units/numbers somewhere in my assumptions or conversions above? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

You are using the Sun's gravitational parameter, not the asteroid's. Some planetary gravitational parameters in m3/s2:
[tex]\begin{aligned}
\text{Sun}\quad &133\times10^{18} \\
\text{Earth}\quad &399\times10^{12} \\
\text{Moon}\quad &4.9\times10^{12} \\
\text{Ceres}\quad &63\times10^{9\phantom{0}}
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Last edited:
Oh, right. Stupid me. I think I got it now - 1.12 E16 kg. Thanks

Related to A Problem Involving Kepler's Third Law

1. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. In simpler terms, this means that the further a planet is from its star, the longer its orbital period will be.

2. Why is Kepler's Third Law important?

Kepler's Third Law is important because it helps us to understand the relationship between a planet's orbital period and its distance from its star. This law has been crucial in the study of our solar system and the discovery of exoplanets.

3. What is a problem involving Kepler's Third Law?

A problem involving Kepler's Third Law could be calculating the orbital period or distance of a planet using the law's equation. This is often done in the study of celestial mechanics and can be used to determine the characteristics of planets and their orbits.

4. What are the units used in Kepler's Third Law equation?

The units used in Kepler's Third Law equation are typically years for the orbital period and astronomical units (AU) for the semi-major axis. However, other units such as days and meters can also be used as long as they are consistent.

5. How did Kepler discover his third law?

Kepler discovered his third law by analyzing the data collected by fellow astronomer Tycho Brahe. He noticed a pattern between the orbital periods and distances of the planets and developed his law based on this observation. He then tested and refined his law through further observations and calculations.