A problem I should be able to solve (geometry)

• Thread starter silenzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the problem involves finding the sides of an original rectangle when the area is diminished by 36%. By setting up the equation ab*0.64=1728 and using the given information of the diminished sides (36mm and 48mm), the original sides can be solved for. The solution is a = 45mm and b = 60mm. The number 1728 comes from multiplying 36 by 48 to get the area.
silenzer
A problem I should be able to solve :( (geometry)

This is a random problem I discovered on the internet:

If the area of a rectangle is diminished by 36%, what are the sides of the original rectangle if the sides of the diminished one are 36mm and 48mm?

My answer: Let a and b be the original sides (not diminished).

ab*0,64=1728, so ab=2700. We know that c/d = 36/48 = a/b = 3/4 so a = 3/4 b

Now: 3/4 b*b = 2700
So b^2 = 3600
And then b = +- sqrt of 3600, but since we want distance the answer is b=60.

Because a = 3/4 b, we get a = 3/4 * 60 = 45.

Physics news on Phys.org

Where did the 1728 come from?

Did you check your final answers? Doo they work?

OldEngr63 said:
Where did the 1728 come from?

From multiplying 36 by 48 to get the area. And your answer looks correct silenzer.

Okay, thanks. I saw a different answer elsewhere and therefore thought I was wrong. Thanks for the help.

Related to A problem I should be able to solve (geometry)

1. What is the definition of a problem in geometry?

A problem in geometry is a task or question that requires the use of mathematical principles and concepts to find a solution related to the properties and relationships of shapes, lines, angles, and other geometric figures.

2. How do I know which formula to use to solve a geometry problem?

The formula you need to use will depend on the specific type of problem you are trying to solve. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which geometric principles and formulas are applicable.

3. What are some common strategies for solving geometry problems?

Some common strategies for solving geometry problems include drawing accurate diagrams, using logical reasoning and deductive thinking, breaking a problem down into smaller parts, and using theorems and postulates to make connections between different geometric concepts.

4. How can I check if my solution to a geometry problem is correct?

One way to check your solution is to plug your values back into the original problem and see if they satisfy all the given conditions. You can also use the properties of geometric figures to verify your solution.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a geometry problem?

If you are stuck on a geometry problem, take a break and come back to it with fresh eyes. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or peer. Remember to use your knowledge of geometric principles and formulas to guide your thinking.