Can spiders experience hallucinations?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of spiders and other insects hallucinating when under the influence of drugs. Some argue that their underdeveloped visual cortices and lack of core consciousness prevent them from experiencing true hallucinations, while others suggest that their altered state of mind may affect their abilities, such as web weaving. It is also debated what exactly constitutes a hallucination and whether or not spiders could experience them in a simpler form.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Referring to the thread in ps that links to pictures of webs made by drugged spiders:

Spiders on lsd discussion

But I thought the joke was interesting. Can spiders or other insects hallucinate? Do we have any idea? Funny thought.

Biology news on Phys.org
Probably not, their visual cortices are way too underdeveloped. Their visual representation of the world -- define it as you will -- is probably incredibly simplistic.

damgo: hallucinations are results of an abnormal level of neurotransmitters. If insect brains could achieve a point where the neurotransmitters are at an abnormal level, then yes insects can hallucinate.

Well as far as I'm concerned an hallucination involves (but is not limited to) the distortion of the cognitive maps that form a representation of reality built from core consciousness and the various perceptual functions. Given that spiders don't possesses core consciousness or cognitive maps I would have to say that spiders cannot hallucinate.

If on the other hand you want to say that what constitutes hallucination in spiders is them getting f*cked up on drugs and their web weaving ability goes down the crapper then OK.

I must have a very different idea of what constitutes an hallucination. To me most hallucinations seem to be simply a case of incorrect data analysis, where the brain receives corrupted signals, or perhaps uncorrupted signals but analyses them wrong. Most hallucinations are probably as simple as seeing flashes of colour that aren't actually there, or sensing vibrations that didn't actually occur say.

If the above is correct then I believe spiders could very well experience hallucinations. Sure they are nothing compared to the kind of hallucinations humans experience when on drugs such as LSD, but the could affect the spiders web making abilities.

1. Can spiders actually hallucinate?

Yes, it is possible for spiders to experience hallucinations, although the exact mechanisms are still not fully understood.

2. What causes spiders to hallucinate?

There are a few different factors that can contribute to spiders experiencing hallucinations, including exposure to certain drugs or chemicals, changes in their environment, or neurological disorders.

3. Do all spiders hallucinate?

It is not known if all spiders are capable of experiencing hallucinations, as research on this topic is still ongoing. Some species may be more susceptible to hallucinations than others.

4. Can spiders see images or patterns that are not really there?

Yes, similar to humans, spiders can see imagery that is not actually present in their environment. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in their brains or sensory systems.

5. Are spider hallucinations dangerous?

In most cases, spider hallucinations are not harmful to the spiders themselves. However, if the hallucinations cause the spider to behave erratically or put itself in danger, it could potentially be harmful.