Bush Signs Executive Order on Secrecy

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary, President George W. Bush signed a new Executive Order on March 25, 2003 that replaces the Clinton-era E.O. on the declassification of federal government documents. The new order was kept under the radar to avoid public attention and is seen by some as a cover-up tactic to hide potentially damaging information from the Reagan and Bush I presidencies. This could potentially backfire on Bush if the media starts investigating his actions.
Adam
Bush Issues New Secrecy Executive Order

On 25 March 2003 President George W. Bush signed a 31-page Executive Order "Further Amendment to Executive Order 12958, As Amended, Classified National Security Information" (EO 13291) replacing the soon-to-expire Clinton-era E.O. relating to the automatic declassification of federal government documents after 25 years. With a handful of exceptions, the new EO closely corresponds to a draft obtained by the National Coalition for History and distributed via the Internet earlier in March (See "Draft Executive Order Replacing EO 12958 Circulates," NCH WASHINGTON UPDATE, Vol. 9, #11; 13 March 2003).

The announcement of the president's signing the EO appears to have been carefully orchestrated by the White House to minimize public attention to the new order. One press insider characterized the strategy employed by the White House as "advance damage control." The administration tactic managed to short circuit a repeat of the public relations disaster that followed the release of the Presidential Records Act EO in 2001.

More: http://www.archivists.org/news/secrecyorder.asp

Physics news on Phys.org
One possible reason for this is that it was the late 70s-early 80s that America started really pursuing relationships with Islamic terrorists and dictatorships worldwide. If I were Shrub, I'd want to keep my dad's criminal activities classified too.

This is an old story isn't it? (at least it sounds familiar), Bush is trying to make it impossible for the press to get ahold of soon to be declassified documents from the Reagan and Bush I presidencies. It's an obvious and Nixon-esque "cover-up" rumor engine. Hide the facts, destroy your enemy.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
This is an old story isn't it? (at least it sounds familiar), Bush is trying to make it impossible for the press to get ahold of soon to be declassified documents from the Reagan and Bush I presidencies. It's an obvious and Nixon-esque "cover-up" rumor engine. Hide the facts, destroy your enemy.
This is great news for anyone who wants Bush gone, if we play it right. The media may start exposing his lies when they realize that they can't write those Iran-Contra books that they have been dreaming about.

What is the "Bush Signs Executive Order on Secrecy"?

The "Bush Signs Executive Order on Secrecy" is an executive order signed by former President George W. Bush in 2003, which aimed to increase government secrecy by limiting public access to certain government records and information.

What is the purpose of this executive order?

The purpose of this executive order was to protect national security and prevent the disclosure of sensitive information that could potentially harm the United States and its citizens.

What types of information are affected by this executive order?

This executive order applies to information that falls under the category of "classified national security information," including intelligence activities, sources and methods, and other sensitive government operations.

What are the implications of this executive order?

This executive order has been criticized by some for limiting government transparency and hindering the public's ability to hold the government accountable. It has also been praised by others for protecting national security and preventing the release of sensitive information to potentially harmful parties.

Has this executive order been modified or revoked?

This executive order was modified by President Barack Obama in 2009, but the overall framework and purpose of the order remained intact. It was eventually replaced by President Obama's "Executive Order on Classified National Security Information" in 2009.