A positive definite Hermitian Form

Thus, there is no value of c for which Hc is positive definite.In summary, there is no value of c for which Hc is positive definite. The determinant of Hc must be solved for in order to determine the eigenvalues, but this process becomes complicated and difficult without the use of computer software. After attempting to solve for the eigenvalues using various methods, it is determined that there is no possible value of c that would result in Hc being positive definite.
Try hard
In this question I let "x1t , x2t, x3t " be the conjugate of x1, x2, x3

The hermitian form
Hc(x) = c*x1t*x1 + 2*x2t*x2 - i*x1t*x2 + i*x2t*x1 + x1t*x3 + x3t*x1
+i*x2t*x3 - i*x3t*x2 (sorry, it`s a bit messy)

For which value of c is Hc ositive definite?

I have tried to find the eignvalue in terms of c by trying to solve the
charactiristic polynomial, but seems too complicate to do, I`ve also tried
to solve by completing the square but not so successful.
So is there any way to solve this without using computer softwares like
maple? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The determinant ##\operatorname{det}(H_c-\lambda I)=0## yields (if I didn't make a mistake)
\begin{align*}
0&=(\lambda-u)(\lambda-v)(\lambda-w)\\&=\lambda^3-(u+v+w)\lambda^2+(uv+uw+vw)\lambda-uvw \\
&=\lambda^3-(2+c)\lambda^2+(2c-3)\lambda +c
\end{align*}
For positive definiteness we need ##u,v,w > 0##, i.e. ##uv+uw+vw =2c-3 >0 ## and ##uvw=-c>0##, thus ##\frac{3}{2} < c < 0## which is not possible.

Related to A positive definite Hermitian Form

1. What is a positive definite Hermitian form?

A positive definite Hermitian form is a mathematical object that assigns a complex number to each pair of vectors in a vector space. It is defined as a form that satisfies certain properties, including symmetry and positive definiteness. Positive definiteness means that the form will always return a positive value for non-zero vectors and zero for the zero vector.

2. What is the difference between a positive definite Hermitian form and a positive definite form?

A positive definite Hermitian form is a special case of a positive definite form. The main difference is that a positive definite Hermitian form is defined over a complex vector space, while a positive definite form is defined over a real vector space. Additionally, a positive definite Hermitian form has the extra property of Hermitian symmetry, while a positive definite form only requires symmetry.

3. How is a positive definite Hermitian form represented mathematically?

A positive definite Hermitian form is represented using a matrix and a vector. The matrix is a square matrix with complex entries, and the vector is a column vector of the same dimension as the matrix. The form is evaluated by taking the conjugate transpose of the vector and multiplying it with the matrix, followed by multiplying the result with the original vector.

4. What is the significance of positive definiteness in a Hermitian form?

Positive definiteness in a Hermitian form is important because it allows us to define a notion of length and angle in complex vector spaces. This is necessary for many mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems and quantum mechanics.

5. How is a positive definite Hermitian form used in physics?

A positive definite Hermitian form is used in physics to define the inner product between quantum states in Hilbert spaces. This inner product is used to calculate probabilities and determine the evolution of quantum states over time. Additionally, positive definiteness is also important in defining the energy of a physical system in quantum mechanics.