A piece of iron weighing 85.65 grams was burned in air.

In summary, a piece of iron weighing 85.65 grams was burned in air, producing 118.37 grams of iron oxide. Using the law of conservation of mass, 32.72 grams of oxygen reacted with the iron. Calculating the number of moles of oxygen atoms in the product, there were 2.045 moles of O2. Similarly, 1.534 moles of Fe were used. The empirical formula of the iron oxide was found to be Fe3O4. While the coefficients in empirical formulas are almost never exactly integers due to experimental errors, this does not affect the practicality of the question.
I'm

Homework Statement

A piece of iron weighing 85.65 grams was burned in air. The mass of the iron oxide produced was 118.37g.

1. Use the law of conservation of mass to calculuate the mass of oxygen that reacted with iron.

2. use the molar mass of oxygen to calculate the number of moles of oxygen atoms in the product.

3. Use the molar mass of Fe to calculate the Moles of Fe used.

4. What is the emperical formula of Iron oxide?

Homework Equations

Molar mass of O: 16.00
Molar mass of Fe:55.85

The Attempt at a Solution

1. My answer : 32.72g of O2.
I subtracted 85.65 from 118.37.

2. 2.045 moles of O.

I divided 32.72 by 16.

3. 1.534 moles.

I divided the grams by the molar mass of Fe.

4. F3O4

Is there any error in my calculations? Does the emperical formula always come out even?
For example: I got Feo1.33 and just multiplied by 3, but I didn't exactly get 4 for O, I got 3.99, is that okay to do?

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks OK to me. Coefficients in empirical formulas are almost never exactly integers, that's due to experimental errors.

--

What about how practical is the question? Does the oxide diffuse into the unreacted metal and does the oxygen diffuse into the superficial iron oxide? The original question is just an academic exercise, but still is the actual question practical?

Related to A piece of iron weighing 85.65 grams was burned in air.

What happens when a piece of iron weighing 85.65 grams is burned in air?

When iron is burned in air, it undergoes a chemical reaction with oxygen to form iron oxide. This produces heat and light, as well as a layer of rust on the iron's surface.

Why does iron burn in air?

Iron has a high affinity for oxygen, meaning that it readily reacts with oxygen in the air. This reaction releases energy, which is why iron appears to burn when exposed to air.

What is the chemical equation for the burning of iron in air?

The chemical equation for the burning of iron in air is 4Fe + 3O2 -> 2Fe2O3. This means that four atoms of iron react with three molecules of oxygen to form two molecules of iron oxide.

What is the appearance of the iron after it has been burned in air?

After being burned in air, the iron will have a layer of rust on its surface. This rust is a reddish-brown color and may flake off easily.

Is burning iron in air a physical or chemical change?

Burning iron in air is a chemical change. This is because the iron undergoes a chemical reaction with the oxygen in the air, resulting in the formation of a new substance (iron oxide) with different properties than the original iron.