A phd in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology).

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a PhD in pure math and then pursuing a postdoc in theoretical physics, specifically in cosmology. They are concerned that not having a PhD in theoretical physics may hurt their career prospects. The expert suggests that it may indeed hurt them, as they would be competing against individuals with a PhD in cosmology and relevant publications. They mention Roger Penrose as an example of someone who has successfully pursued two PhDs in different fields.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Is this unheard or a lot of people do such a thing?
I mean if someone like me would like to do research in both areas, but knowing that doing 2 phds is too much (although I have read of a few who have done two phds one in CS and one in maths), I think my compromise would be to do first in pure maths (in a subject which is between maths and physics) a Phd and then procceed in postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology), the question is, will the fact that the PHD won't be in theoretical physics per se, will hurt me?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
the question is, will the fact that the PHD won't be in theoretical physics per se, will hurt me?

Yes, it will hurt you. You will be competing against people with a PhD in cosmology and a collection of publications on relevant topics. Of course, if your research whilst doing your PhD in maths is in cosmology, then it doesn't matter what the name of your degree is.

Off the top of my, Roger Penrose, possibly the best relativist of the last half-century, is the only person (surely, there must be others) of which I can think who has done this.

Related to A phd in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology).

1. What is the difference between a PhD in pure maths and a postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology)?

A PhD in pure maths focuses on the study of mathematical theories and concepts, while a postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology) involves applying these theories to understand the physical world, specifically in the context of the universe and its origins.

2. What are the job opportunities for someone with a PhD in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology)?

Individuals with a PhD in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology) can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, and industries related to mathematics and physics, such as data science, finance, and technology.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in pure maths and a postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology)?

A PhD in pure maths typically takes 4-6 years to complete, while a postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology) can range from 1-3 years depending on the research project and funding availability.

4. What skills and qualifications are needed for a PhD in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology)?

A strong background in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills are essential for both a PhD in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology). Additionally, good communication and collaboration skills are important for working in a research team.

5. Can a PhD in pure maths and postdocs in theoretical physics (cosmology) be pursued simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in pure maths and a postdoc in theoretical physics (cosmology) simultaneously. However, it is important to carefully consider the workload and time commitment required for both programs to ensure successful completion of both degrees.