A person pushes a 10.0 kg lawn mower at constant speed with a force of

In summary, we have a person pushing a 10.0 kg lawn mower at a constant speed with a force of 82.0 N directed at an angle of 45.0° to the horizontal. The horizontal retarding force on the mower has been calculated to be 57.98 N. The normal force exerted vertically upward on the mower by the ground can be found by subtracting the vertical component of the person's push from the weight of the mower. To calculate the force needed to accelerate the lawn mower from rest to 1.0 m/s in 2.0 seconds, kinematics equations can be used to find the acceleration and then plugged into the equation f=ma. However, it is important to note
nbroyle1
A person pushes a 10.0 kg lawn mower at constant speed with a force of 82.0 N directed along the handle, which is at an angle of θ = 45.0° to the horizontal (Fig. 4-45).

(b) Calculate the horizontal retarding force on the mower
(c) Calculate the normal force exerted vertically upward on the mower by the ground.
(d) Calculate the force the person must exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it from rest to 1.0 m/s in 2.0 seconds (assuming the same retarding force).

So I've already solved for the horizontal force by using trig and it was 57.98N. I also found the normal force by adding weight and the vertical component of the force. Now I am trying to find the force the person must exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it with the variables given.
Is this involving kinematics what should I focus on for this step?

Physics news on Phys.org

The normal force would be weight - the vertical component, since adding a force upwards would weaken the normal force.

As for the last question, find the acceleration using kinematics, then use f=ma

I tried that and got a=1/2. so when I plugged that into f=ma I got f=10(1/2) but the answer is incorrect. am I forgetting something or is my calculations just wrong??

yes but since the person is pushing on the lawn mower you add the vertical component of his push + mg and that gives you the normal force.

I did the equation V=Vo+at so after I plugged in the information and solved for acceleration it was 1/2. If I plug that into f=ma I get 5 but that isn't right.

nbroyle1 said:
I tried that and got a=1/2. so when I plugged that into f=ma I got f=10(1/2) but the answer is incorrect. am I forgetting something or is my calculations just wrong??

Did the question specify that the force must be 45°? If not then you can just add that force to the retarding force.

nbroyle1 said:
yes but since the person is pushing on the lawn mower you add the vertical component of his push + mg and that gives you the normal force.

If the force is 45 degrees above, then the vertical force is up, not down, thus you subtract.

nbroyle1 said:
Yes, correct

nbroyle1 said:
I did the equation V=Vo+at so after I plugged in the information and solved for acceleration it was 1/2. If I plug that into f=ma I get 5 but that isn't right.
The force you have solved is the net force in the horizontal direction. You must subtract the retarding force to get the applied force in the horizontal direction, then find the applied force along the handle using trig.

Related to A person pushes a 10.0 kg lawn mower at constant speed with a force of

1. What is the mass of the lawn mower?

The mass of the lawn mower is 10.0 kg. This information is given in the question.

2. What is the magnitude of the force applied to the lawn mower?

The magnitude of the force applied to the lawn mower is not specified in the question. It could be any amount as long as it is enough to maintain a constant speed.

3. How is the force applied to the lawn mower affecting its motion?

The force applied to the lawn mower is keeping it moving at a constant speed. This is because the applied force is balanced by the opposing forces of friction and air resistance.

4. Is there any acceleration in this scenario?

No, there is no acceleration as the lawn mower is moving at a constant speed. In order for there to be acceleration, there must be a change in speed or direction.

5. How does the mass of the lawn mower affect the amount of force needed to maintain a constant speed?

The mass of the lawn mower does not directly affect the amount of force needed to maintain a constant speed. However, a heavier lawn mower may require a greater force to overcome the opposing forces and maintain a constant speed.