A Penny Falling of a Staionary/Fixed Position Sphere

In summary, a penny released from the top of a smooth sphere of radius 1.3 meters, fixed to a platform, slides down and leaves the sphere at a certain point. The goal is to find how far the penny falls away from the point of contact between the sphere and the platform. The problem can be solved by analyzing the forces acting on the penny, applying Newton's 2nd law, and considering the curved surface of the sphere. The normal force and weight are the forces on the penny in the y-axis, and the acceleration in that direction can be found by analyzing force components perpendicular to the surface. The equation mgh = 1/2*m*(V^2) can be used to solve for the height,
. Arctic.

Homework Statement

A penny is released from the top of a very smooth sphere of radius 1.3 meters. The sphere is fixed to a platform and doesn't move. The penny slides down from rest and leaves the sphere at a certain point. How far will the penny fall away from the point of contact of the sphere and the platform?

The penny just kind of slides off on it's own, and what needs to be found is where exactly it leaves the surface of the sphere.

Homework Equations

mgh = 1/2*m*(V^2)
h can be found using the angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the drawing I drew, I had the penny start from the top of the sphere and picked a spot where it falls off. I drew a line through the center of the sphere and the point where the penny falls off, but I'm at a bit of loss of where exactly to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Analyze the forces acting on the penny and apply Newton's 2nd law. (Don't forget that the sphere is a curved surface.)

Think centripetal force.

I know the forces working on the penny in the y-axis are the normal F = Weight. What I've been thinking about doing is using

mgh = (1/2)m(V^2)

My problem is the h. I'm thinking about saying that the center of the sphere is 0, and that the initial height of the penny is the radius. After that, I feel like I should use

h' = h - y

with h' being the height the penny falls off. I just don't know how to get the angle I need.

. Arctic. said:
I know the forces working on the penny in the y-axis are the normal F = Weight.
At any point, the normal force is perpendicular to the surface. Hint: Analyze force components perpendicular to the surface. What's the acceleration in that direction?

Related to A Penny Falling of a Staionary/Fixed Position Sphere

1. How does gravity affect the movement of a penny falling off a stationary sphere?

Gravity is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. In this scenario, the penny and the sphere are both objects with mass, so gravity pulls the penny towards the center of the sphere. This causes the penny to fall off the sphere and accelerate towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

2. What determines the speed at which the penny falls off the sphere?

The speed at which the penny falls off the sphere is determined by the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. This means that the penny will increase in speed by 9.8 meters per second every second it falls towards the ground.

3. Will the height of the sphere affect the time it takes for the penny to fall off?

Yes, the height of the sphere will affect the time it takes for the penny to fall off. The higher the sphere, the longer it will take for the penny to fall off because it will have a longer distance to travel before reaching the ground.

4. How does air resistance impact the fall of the penny?

Air resistance is the force exerted by air molecules on an object moving through the air. It acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can slow down the object's speed. In the case of the penny falling off the sphere, air resistance will cause the penny to fall at a slightly slower speed than if it were falling in a vacuum.

5. Will the weight of the penny have any effect on its fall off the sphere?

The weight of the penny will not have a significant effect on its fall off the sphere. The acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass. However, if the penny is heavier, it may experience slightly more air resistance, causing it to fall at a slightly slower speed.