A particle moving under a conservative force

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving under a conservative force and oscillating between two points. The period of oscillation can be found using the equation τ = 2\int^{x_{2}}_{x^{1}}\sqrt{\frac{m}{2(V(x_{2})-V(x))}}dx, which can be derived by rewriting the equation of motion as a derivative of the particle's kinetic and potential energies. By setting the constant in this equation to be equal to the energies at the boundaries of the oscillations, the equation can be solved for the period.
jamie.j1989

Homework Statement

From, Classical mechanics 5th edition, Tom W.B. Kibble, Frank H. Berkshire
Chapter 2, problem 30

A particle moving under a conservative force oscillates between x11 and x2. Show that the period of oscillation is

τ = 2[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{x_{2}}_{x^{1}}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{2(V(x_{2})-V(x))}}[/itex]dx

Homework Equations

m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] + F(x) = 0

F(x) = -[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]V(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] + F(x) = 0

→ m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] -[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]V(x) = 0

→ [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{x_{2}}_{x_{1}}[/itex]m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex]dx = V(x2)-V(x1)

Im not sure if I've started right and if I have I don't know how to go forward with the [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite $$m\ddot{x} + \frac{dV}{dx} = 0 \,\,\text{as}\,\,\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 + V(x)\right) = 0$$ and carry on from there.

When I try that I just end up with

m[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\dot{x}[/itex][itex]\frac{d\dot{x}}{dx}[/itex]dx + V(x) = 0

by parts on the integral just sends me in a circle?

If $$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + V(x) \right) = 0\,\,\,\text{then}\,\,\,\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + V(x) = \text{const}$$ Use what you know about the particle at the boundaries of its oscillations (i.e at ##x_1## and ##x_2##) to obtain the constant.

Once you have this, you can separate variables to find T.

term.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concepts involved. A conservative force is one that can be expressed as the gradient of a potential energy function, meaning that the work done by this force is independent of the path taken by the particle. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

In this problem, we are given that the particle oscillates between two points, x1 and x2. This means that the total energy of the particle, which is the sum of its kinetic and potential energy, remains constant. Using the principle of conservation of energy, we can express this as:

E = 1/2 mv^2 + V(x) = constant

Where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and V(x) is the potential energy function.

Next, we can use the definition of the period of oscillation, τ, which is the time taken for the particle to complete one full cycle, to solve for it. This can be expressed as:

τ = 2π/ω

Where ω is the angular frequency, given by:

ω = √(k/m)

Where k is the spring constant. We can rewrite this equation in terms of the potential energy function, V(x), as:

ω = √(1/m * d^2V/dx^2)

Using this, we can now solve for the period of oscillation, τ, as:

τ = 2π/√(1/m * d^2V/dx^2)

To solve for d^2V/dx^2, we can use the fact that F(x) = -dV/dx, which means that d^2V/dx^2 = -dF/dx. Substituting this into the equation for τ, we get:

τ = 2π/√(1/m * (-dF/dx))

Using the given equation for F(x), we can rewrite this as:

τ = 2π/√(1/m * (-d/dx(V(x2) - V(x1)))

Which simplifies to:

τ = 2π/√(1/m * ∫x1^x2 (V(x2) - V(x1))dx)

Finally, using the fundamental theorem of calculus, we can rewrite this as:

τ = 2π/√(1/m * V(x2)

Related to A particle moving under a conservative force

1. What is meant by a "conservative force"?

A conservative force is a type of force that, when acting on an object, does not depend on the path taken by the object. This means that the work done by the force on the object is independent of the path, and only depends on the initial and final positions of the object.

2. How does a conservative force affect the motion of a particle?

A conservative force causes a particle to undergo a change in kinetic energy, without any change in potential energy. This means that the total mechanical energy of the particle remains constant, and the particle will continue to move in a predictable manner.

3. What is the relationship between a conservative force and potential energy?

A conservative force is directly related to potential energy. The potential energy of a particle in a conservative force field is equal to the negative of the work done by the force when the particle moves from a reference point to its current position.

4. Can a particle moving under a conservative force ever come to rest?

Yes, a particle moving under a conservative force can come to rest if it reaches a point where its kinetic energy is equal to its potential energy. At this point, the total mechanical energy of the particle is zero and it will not be able to move any further.

5. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Examples of conservative forces include gravity, electrostatic forces, and magnetic forces. These forces do not depend on the path taken by the object and only act on the object's position in space.