A particle in Electric and Magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation of motion for a charge q released in crossed E and B fields, with E oriented along the y axis and B oriented about the z axis. The equation used is F = q(E+v×B) = m r'', where r'' = {x'',y'',z''}. It is mentioned that the force depends on the velocity, and three equations are obtained in the form mx"=Fx, my"=Fy, mz"=Fz.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

A charge q is released in crossed E and B fields: E is oriented along y axis; B is oriented about z axis
Derive the equation of motion of q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what equation I should use here, the only equation that I have which gives Force in terms of E and B is: F = q(E+v×B) , so I was thinking of using that, and set it equal to Newton's law F = m r'' , where r'' = {x'',y'',z''} , am I correct like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is r"?

Suraj M said:
What exactly is r"?

r is just position, and by r'' I mean it is r derived twice so that it is acceleration

Okay firstly if the object is moving without deflection even in the presence of a magnetic and electric field, what would be the resultant force on the body?

Suraj M said:
Okay firstly if the object is moving without deflection even in the presence of a magnetic and electric field, what would be the resultant force on the body?
In general it should be F = ma

What would be the shape of the path of the object?

Abdul.119 said:

Homework Statement

A charge q is released in crossed E and B fields: E is oriented along y axis; B is oriented about z axis
Derive the equation of motion of q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what equation I should use here, the only equation that I have which gives Force in terms of E and B is: F = q(E+v×B) , so I was thinking of using that, and set it equal to Newton's law F = m r'' , where r'' = {x'',y'',z''} , am I correct like that?
Yes, it is correct.
You know the direction of the electric and magnetic field vectors. Write them out in vector form, and determine the components Fx, Fy, Fz of the force. Note that the force depends on the velocity, that is, (x'x, y'y, z'z) , Then you get three equations in the form mx"=Fx, my"=Fy, mz"=Fz.

Related to A particle in Electric and Magnetic field

1. What is a particle in an electric and magnetic field?

A particle in an electric and magnetic field refers to a charged particle that is moving through both an electric field and a magnetic field simultaneously. This results in a force acting on the particle, causing it to accelerate and change its direction of motion.

2. What are the equations that describe the motion of a particle in an electric and magnetic field?

The equations that describe the motion of a particle in an electric and magnetic field are known as the Lorentz force equations. They are given by F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force on the particle, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

3. How do the electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of a particle?

The electric field causes a force on the particle in the direction of the field, while the magnetic field causes a force perpendicular to both the field and the velocity of the particle. This results in a curved path of motion for the particle.

4. Can a particle in an electric and magnetic field have a constant velocity?

No, a particle in an electric and magnetic field cannot have a constant velocity because the force acting on the particle is constantly changing its direction and magnitude. This results in an acceleration and a change in velocity.

5. How do the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of a particle?

The strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields determine the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the particle, which in turn affects the motion of the particle. A stronger electric or magnetic field will result in a greater force and a larger change in the particle's motion.