Ethidium bromide volatile in hot agarose solution?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the conversation revolves around the potential health hazards of using ethidium bromide (EtBr) in hot agarose solutions in molecular biology experiments. Some individuals are concerned about the volatility of EtBr and its potential harm when inhaled while remelting gels. A forum discussing this topic and an alternative reagent called megafluor are mentioned as potential resources for those interested in learning more.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is ethidium bromide volatile in hot agarose solution? Some people add ethidium bromide to melted agarose solution, or reuse agarose containing ethidium bromide by melting it. If EtBr is heat-volatile, then it may pose danger to these persons. I always feel uncomfortable when remelting gels and avoid breathing in the air.. is there a real health hazard here?

Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting, someone is on the same wavelength as me.. posted one day in advance..

Does anyone know the boiling point and vapour pressure of EtBR?

Originally posted by iansmith
check this link out

http://micro.nwfsc.noaa.gov/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1524
Tnanks so much for bringing that Forum to my attention Ian. That might really help me over the next couple of years as I start getting into the really technical side of Molecular Biology =)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome

I have check this forum for a while but never used any of the information given. The guy that works with me has a good background in biotechnology and molecular biology but the forum migth be usefull later.

There is another reagent for DNA labelling (I have never used it), its name is megafluor (EuroClone) and the toxicity is less than the EtBr, is not able to pass through cellular membranes and does not produce environmental pollution. It uses the standard electrophoretic techniques and transilluminators.
An alternative!

What is ethidium bromide and why is it used in agarose gel electrophoresis?

Ethidium bromide is a fluorescent dye commonly used in molecular biology for visualizing nucleic acids. It is added to agarose gel during electrophoresis to help visualize DNA or RNA bands under ultraviolet light.

Why is ethidium bromide considered volatile in hot agarose solution?

Ethidium bromide is considered volatile in hot agarose solution because it can vaporize and contaminate the air when heated. This is due to its low boiling point of 130°C. Inhaling ethidium bromide vapor can be harmful, so it is important to handle it with caution and in a well-ventilated area.

What are the potential risks of using ethidium bromide in agarose gel electrophoresis?

The main risks of using ethidium bromide in agarose gel electrophoresis are exposure to its vapor and skin contact. It is a known mutagen and teratogen, meaning it can cause genetic mutations and birth defects. Therefore, proper safety precautions should be taken when handling ethidium bromide.

How can the volatility of ethidium bromide in hot agarose solution be minimized?

The volatility of ethidium bromide in hot agarose solution can be minimized by using a DNA stain that is less volatile, such as SYBR Safe. Additionally, using a gel electrophoresis hood with a ventilation system can help reduce exposure to ethidium bromide vapor.

What are some alternative methods for visualizing DNA bands in agarose gel electrophoresis?

There are several alternative methods for visualizing DNA bands in agarose gel electrophoresis, including using DNA stains such as SYBR Green or GelRed, which are less toxic than ethidium bromide. Another option is to use a UV transilluminator with a blue light conversion screen, which can excite DNA without the need for a DNA stain. Other techniques such as capillary electrophoresis or digital analysis can also be used for visualizing DNA bands.