A non-technical explanation for FTL quasar motions

In summary, quasars appear to be moving faster than light due to the phenomenon of redshift, which is a result of distance and recessional velocity. However, some argue that there may be intrinsic redshift at play, but there is not enough evidence to support this claim. The analogy of sending books through UPS helps to visualize this concept.
twofish-quant
A non-technical explanation for "FTL" quasar motions

I was trying to think of an accurate but non-technical explanation for quasar motions that seem to be faster than light, and I came up with one.

A have a friend in Atlanta and he sends me a book via UPS. That book takes three days to get to me in NYC. So he wants to visit me and after a day of traveling, he ends up in Philadelphia, and sends me a book from there. Because Philadelphia is closer it only takes two days for the book from Philadelphia to get to me.

Now I'm in NYC, and I wake up one morning and the UPS guy knocks at my door, and he hands me the book that my friend sent when he was in Atlanta. Ten seconds later, another UPS guy knocks at my door, and he hands me the book that my friend sent when he was in Philadelphia.

MY GOD! My friend has magically found a way of getting from Atlanta to Philadelphia in ten seconds! He must have superpowers!

No, that's not what is happening. There's no magic super fast traveling at all. Either when my friend sends a book, or when you see things that seem to be traveling faster than light in quasars.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

twofish-quant said:
I was trying to think of an accurate but non-technical explanation for quasar motions that seem to be faster than light, and I came up with one.

A have a friend in Atlanta and he sends me a book via UPS. That book takes three days to get to me in NYC. So he wants to visit me and after a day of traveling, he ends up in Philadelphia, and sends me a book from there. Because Philadelphia is closer it only takes two days for the book from Philadelphia to get to me.

Now I'm in NYC, and I wake up one morning and the UPS guy knocks at my door, and he hands me the book that my friend sent when he was in Atlanta. Ten seconds later, another UPS guy knocks at my door, and he hands me the book that my friend sent when he was in Philadelphia.

MY GOD! My friend has magically found a way of getting from Atlanta to Philadelphia in ten seconds! He must have superpowers!

No, that's not what is happening. There's no magic super fast traveling at all. Either when my friend sends a book, or when you see things that seem to be traveling faster than light in quasars.

Cool analogy. But what does a Postal strike equate to? Absorption by intergalactic dust?

Are you kidding? (OP) There is a massive amount of data about quasars, AGNs, redshift, etc. If you choose to believe that redshift=recessional velocity=distance, that's your look-out, but if you want to promote the idea that there is NO evidence for intrinsic redshift, you might want to prepare to defend that notion against peer-reviewed publications that show otherwise.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.1492

turbo-1 said:
Are you kidding? (OP) There is a massive amount of data about quasars, AGNs, redshift, etc. If you choose to believe that redshift=recessional velocity=distance, that's your look-out, but if you want to promote the idea that there is NO evidence for intrinsic redshift, you might want to prepare to defend that notion against peer-reviewed publications that show otherwise.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.1492

As I've pointed to before, there is no compelling evidence in that paper for "intrinsic redshift". Just small number statistics which are over-interpreted by you.

Related to A non-technical explanation for FTL quasar motions

1. What is FTL quasar motion?

FTL quasar motion refers to the movement of quasars (extremely bright and distant objects in space) at speeds faster than the speed of light.

2. Is FTL quasar motion possible?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that FTL quasar motion is possible. The theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and confirmed, states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. What are the implications of FTL quasar motion?

If FTL quasar motion were possible, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and communication. However, it would also require a fundamental shift in our understanding of the laws of the universe.

4. Are there any proposed explanations for FTL quasar motion?

Some scientists have proposed theories such as wormholes or warp drives that could potentially allow for FTL travel. However, these theories are currently speculative and have not been proven.

5. Why is it important to study FTL quasar motion?

Studying FTL quasar motion allows scientists to push the boundaries of our understanding of the universe and potentially uncover new insights into the laws of physics. It also helps us to understand the limitations of our current theories and encourages further research and exploration.