A nice identity, in need of a proof.

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the identity 999/1000 = 1/(2!) + 2/(3!) + 3/(4!) + ... + n/(n+1)!. While some argue that calculating this on a calculator is enough to prove the identity, there is also mention of a C routine that can calculate base factorial expansions. The conversation concludes by mentioning the possibility of using the greedy algorithm to find the base factorial expansion of any number.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
how do i prove the next identity:
999/1000=1/(2!)+2/(3!)+3/(4!)+4/(5!)+5/(6!)+1/(7!)+7/(8!)+6/(9!)+1/(10!)+2/(11!)+2/(12!)+5/(13!)+2/(14!)+12/(15!)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use a calculator or a bit of paper. I just did it in GAP and it is correct.

you want to tell me, that calculating it with a calculator is regarded as a proof of the identity?
im really surprised here.

You can do it by hand if you want, but it is just checking a sum of fractions is something. It's hardly an identity (something that holds 'for all x') like sin2x=2sinxcosx, is it?

but how can you derive it, by what means do you arrive at this equation?
you can't tell me that someone put the first 5 terms arbitrarily and then reduced it from the fraction, can you?

Those are entirely different questions and have nothing to do with verifying if it is true or not. I do not know how or why it was derived, nor do I care particularly. It is just the base factorial (for want of a better phrase) representation of 999/1000. Every rational number (possibly between 0 and 1) has a unique representation as a finite sum

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n} \frac{a_r}{r!}[/tex]

with some restriction on the a_r, (like between 0 and r-1) i seem to recall, you can then add an integre at the front.. Perhaps some people just worked out a few and thought this was a nice one?

Last edited:
then you misunderstood my starting post, in which i stated that i want a proof, or derivation of the equation.

Then you misstated your opening post. I have 'proved' it is true, and why it is true (because it is, like 2+4=6, because it is).

At no point did your opening post ask for a justification of why someone found this out.

It is quite easy to work out base factorial expansions, though there is no real justification I can offer as to why this particular one is 'so' nice. But then that is an aesthetic judgement on your behalf.

there apparently is a C routine that will calculate factorial base for you, if you want to play around with it.

Anyway, it is hard to explain a 'pattern' if you just give a single example. If you explained where it came from that might be a start.

Last edited:
You could of course just work out the base factorial expansion of any number, I suppose. It's the same as working out a decimal expansion.

x=a(1)+a(2)/2!+a(3)/3!+...

you can work out the a(r) easily enough: a(1) is the integer part, a(2) is 2!(x-a(1)), a(3) is 3!(x-a(1)-a(2)/2!) etc.

Put in 999/1000 and you should get those numbers.

Calculating that 2+ 3+ 5 adds up to 10 on a calculator or on your fingers (notice I stopped at 10- no need to use your toes!) is a perfectly good proof of "2+ 3+ 5= 10".

I can't recall for certain if the greedy algorithm works for a factorial base like this, I think it does though.

If so, just take K=1/2!+2/3!+...+n/(n+1)! as far out as you'd like this pattern, then take a large enough m so 1-10^(-m) is larger than K (note K will be strictly less than 1, consider K+1/(n+1)!). The representation of 1-10^(-m) in a factorial base like this will then begin with this pattern, so 999/1000 is nothing stunning.

Related to A nice identity, in need of a proof.

1. What is a nice identity?

A nice identity is a mathematical expression or equation that exhibits some kind of symmetry or regularity, making it aesthetically pleasing or elegant.

2. Why does a nice identity need a proof?

In mathematics, a proof is necessary to establish the validity of a statement or claim. Without a proof, a nice identity cannot be considered a true mathematical fact.

3. What makes a proof of a nice identity difficult?

Proving a nice identity can be difficult because it often involves complex mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, some nice identities may have multiple proofs, each with its own level of difficulty.

4. Can a nice identity be disproven?

Yes, a nice identity can be disproven if a counterexample is found. This means that a specific set of numbers or conditions can be found that do not satisfy the identity, thus showing that it is not universally true.

5. What is the significance of a nice identity in mathematics?

A nice identity is not only aesthetically pleasing, but it can also reveal deeper connections and relationships between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts. It can also serve as a tool for solving problems and discovering new mathematical insights.