The Physics of a Computer Processor

In summary, a student in a modern physics class has been assigned to give a presentation on the physics of computer processors. They are looking for information or resources on the topic and have been directed to various links. The expert suggests that understanding transistors is key to understanding microprocessors and recommends researching bipolar junction and field-effect transistors. They also note that this topic would be more appropriate in the technology/hardware section.
anubhab123us
Hello,I am a student attending Highschool and I was assigned in my modern physics class(2nd year physics course) to do a presentation in front of the whole class about the physics of computer processors. I know that it has a lot to do with electricity magnetism because it sounds like it would and my teacher said something about it.Can someone please explain all you know about it or direct me to a link which is very useful. Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
To know about Processors:

http://www.computerhope.com/help/cpu.htm
http://www.darpa.mil/mto/solicitations/BAA03-12/S/Section1.html
http://www.mykrolis.com/publications.nsf/docs/MAL123

(You'll find many links about it in search engines)

For it's structure I think you should study about semiconductor physics more than magnets and electrical circuit theories!

Here Electronics is more important than Electricals

(This topic should've been placed in the technology -> Hardware section)

Last edited by a moderator:
Processors are nothing more than arrays of transistors -- switches -- wired together. If you understand the switch, you understand all the physics in a microprocessor. Look into the way a bipolar junction transistor operates, or if you want to be more modern, a field-effect transistor.

- Warren

1. How does a computer processor work?

A computer processor works by executing instructions and performing calculations to process data. It uses a combination of logic gates and transistors to manipulate and store data in its registers, which are small units of memory within the processor. It also communicates with other components, such as memory and input/output devices, to carry out tasks.

2. What is the role of transistors in a computer processor?

Transistors are the building blocks of a computer processor. They act as tiny switches that can be turned on or off, representing the binary digits of 0 and 1. By arranging these transistors in complex patterns, processors can perform various operations and calculations.

3. How is the speed of a processor measured?

The speed of a processor is measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles it can perform in one second. This is often referred to as the clock speed. The higher the clock speed, the faster the processor can execute instructions and process data.

4. What is the difference between a single-core and multi-core processor?

A single-core processor has only one central processing unit (CPU) that can handle instructions and calculations at a time. In contrast, a multi-core processor has multiple CPUs, allowing it to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. This can result in improved performance and efficiency.

5. How do advancements in processor technology impact computing?

Advancements in processor technology have greatly impacted computing by enabling faster and more powerful computers. As processors become smaller and more efficient, they can handle more complex tasks and improve the overall performance of the system. This has led to the development of advanced technologies, such as artificial intelligence and virtual reality, and has greatly enhanced the capabilities of modern computers.