Homework freely falling body Problems

It's a little odd that the question doesn't ask for initial and final velocity, but I guess you're meant to infer that you don't need them. Your answer for (b) is correct.As for selecting downward as the positive direction... Can you elaborate a bit more on that? He gave us 7 equations to work with for these and other problem sets. Just using what fits.Oh, I was just asking about the problems in general, not about this one in particular. When you started out with d = 1/2 at^2, that means you are assuming that 'a' is positive (downward).As for 13 would it be: V^2 = 2adV^
meteoguy04
Hi,

We were assigned a problem set for homework, a total of 7 problems. Below are the questions, and the work I used to get the answer. I'm just looking for a second set of eyes to point out any mistakes I may have made.

thanks!

=======
6.(a) How long will it take a freely falling body to acquire a speed of 58.8 m/s? (b) How far will it have fallen during that time?

a) t = v/a t = 58.8 / 9.8 = 6s

b) d=VoT + 1/2 gt^2
vo = 58.8 m/s
vf =
a = 9.8 m/s
t = 6 secs
d = 529.2 <=== Answer

10) A coin dropped from the top of a precipice takes 5.00 s to hit the ground. How high is the precipice?

d = 1/2 at^2
d = 1/2 * 9.8 * 5.00
= 24.5 m

11) A ball thrown vertically upward returns to the hand of the thrower 6.00 s later. (a). For how many seconds did the ball fall after reaching its high point? (b) How high did the ball go?

a) t = 2d/a
t = 2 * 176.4/9.8 = 36 = 6

b) d = 1/2 at^2
d = 1/2 * 9.8 * 6.0s^2
= 176.4 m

13) An object falls to the floor from a shelf 2.5 m high. With what speed does it strike the floor?

2.5 m * 9.8
= 24.5 m/s

16) (a) With what speed does a freely falling body dropped from a height of 88.2 m hit the ground? (b). How long does the body take to fall this distance?

a) v^2 = 2ad
v^2 = 2(9.8)(88.2)
= 1728.72

b) t = 2d/a t = 2(88.2)/9.8 = 18s

18) A bullet shot vertically upward has an initial speed of 588 m/s. (a). How long does it take before the bullet stops rising? (b). How high does the bullet go during this time?

a) t = v/a t = 588/9.8 = 60s

b) d = 1/2 at^2
d = 1/2 (9.8) (60)^2
= 1760 m

20) An object dropped from a balloon descending at 4.2 m/s lands on the ground 10 s later. What was the altitude of the balloon at the time the object was dropped?

vf = Vo + at
vf = 4.2 m/s + 9.8 * 10s
= 102.2 m

Physics news on Phys.org
=======
6.(a) How long will it take a freely falling body to acquire a speed of 58.8 m/s? (b) How far will it have fallen during that time?

What is the initial velocity and final velocity?

Oh, and just to be picky (and because I think correct notation helps prevent mistakes), the formulas you used should be:

t = &Delta;v / a
and
&Delta;d = v0 t + (1/2) a t2

(where &Delta;v means the change in v, and similarly for d)

And just to make sure you're aware, did you intend to select downwards as the positive direction in this and later problems? (There's nothing inherently wrong with such a selection, but it is often a symptom of an underlying mistake)

13) An object falls to the floor from a shelf 2.5 m high. With what speed does it strike the floor?

2.5 m * 9.8
= 24.5 m/s

Well, this can't possibly be right.

2.5 m * 9.8 m/s2 = 24.5 m2/s2... the units don't work out! You know the right formula (you used it in another problem), so look back at what you know and pick the right formula!

18) A bullet shot vertically upward has an initial speed of 588 m/s. (a). How long does it take before the bullet stops rising? (b). How high does the bullet go during this time?

a) t = v/a t = 588/9.8 = 60s

b) d = 1/2 at^2
d = 1/2 (9.8) (60)^2
= 1760 m

What is the full formula you used for part (b)? You got the right answer (I think), I just want to make sure it wasn't due to compensating errors.

20) An object dropped from a balloon descending at 4.2 m/s lands on the ground 10 s later. What was the altitude of the balloon at the time the object was dropped?

vf = Vo + at
vf = 4.2 m/s + 9.8 * 10s
= 102.2 m

You were solving for vf, but the question asks for displacement!

A helpful hint is to always handle your units with care... in this case, though you didn't notice you were solving for the wrong variable, if you were careful about units you would have noticed that your calculatiins gave you m/s when you were looking for an m!

Everything else looks right.

#6 is straight from the book. It doesn't list, nor ask for initial and final velocity. Am I supposed to find these? Or are my answers correct for what was given?

As for selecting downward as the positive direction... Can you elaborate a bit more on that? He gave us 7 equations to work with for these and other problem sets. Just using what fits.

As for 13 would it be:

V^2 = 2ad
V^2 = 2(9.8)(2.5)
= 49

For 18(b) that is the full formula. The formula is d = 1/2(a)(t)^2

For 20, would it be:

d = v0 t + (1/2) gt^2
d = 4.2 m/s * 10 + (1/2) * 9.8 * 10^2
= 532 m

Last edited by a moderator:
#6 is straight from the book. It doesn't list, nor ask for initial and final velocity. Am I supposed to find these? Or are my answers correct for what was given?

Yes, you were not asked for that- but it would have indicated more that you knew what you were doing if you had given them. Hurkyl SAID he was being picky! His point was that the formula you used "t= v/a" looks like v is "velocity". Actually, as he said, it should be "change in velocity" (which is why he said it would be &DELTA;v rather than v). You are asked how long it will "acquire a speed of 58.8 m/s". The figure given in the problem IS change in velocity only if you assume the initial velocity is 0. That wasn't actually said but it's a reasonable assumption given that it was not said.

As for selecting downward as the positive direction... Can you elaborate a bit more on that? He gave us 7 equations to work with for these and other problem sets. Just using what fits.

Did you think about which direction was positive? "Applications" don't come with coordinate systems attached! You have to select one yourself and its a good idea to be aware of exactly what you are doing. Most people tend to choose positive as "upward" and so write the acceleration due to gravity as -9.8 m/s2. As long as you are consistent, you are okay.

As for 13 would it be:

V^2 = 2ad
V^2 = 2(9.8)(2.5)
= 49

Hurkyl's point was the obvious fact that you can't get velocity by multiplying distance and acceleration! The formula you have now is good. (Do you recognize it as "conservation of energy"? (1/2)mV2 is kinetic energy and mad is potential energy. At the top total energy is potential energy only, at the bottom kinetic energy only so the two must be the same. Divide both sides of the equation by 2m to get your formula.)

[/quote]For 18(b) that is the full formula. The formula is d = 1/2(a)(t)^2[/quote]

Do you mean that this formula was given as part of the problem? Surely it should be d= d0+ v0t+ (1/2)at2 where d0 is the initial height and v0 is the initial velocity. If you are measuring from the initial position, as in this problem, then d0= 0. If, in addition, the initial velocity is 0, then v0= 0 and the formula you have is correct. Here that is NOT true. The initial velocity is given as 588 m/s so your height formula should be
d= -588 t+ (1/2)(9.8) t2. Do you see why I have taken v0 to be negative?? Would you be surprised if d were negative?

For 20, would it be:

d = v0 t + (1/2) gt^2
d = 4.2 m/s * 10 + (1/2) * 9.8 * 10^2
= 532 m

This is the distance the object fell. Is that what the question asked for?

What is a freely falling body?

A freely falling body is an object that is falling under the sole influence of gravity, without any other external forces acting on it. This means that the only acceleration acting on the object is due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

What are the key equations for solving freely falling body problems?

The key equations for solving freely falling body problems are:

• Velocity: v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.
  • Distance: s = ut + ½gt², where s is the distance traveled, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.
  • Acceleration: a = g, where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you solve for the initial velocity or final velocity in a freely falling body problem?

To solve for the initial velocity or final velocity, you can use the equation v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. If you know any three of these variables, you can solve for the fourth one.

What is the difference between free fall and free fall with air resistance?

In free fall, the only force acting on the object is gravity, which causes a constant acceleration. In free fall with air resistance, there is an additional force acting on the object due to air resistance, which increases as the object's velocity increases. This causes the object to eventually reach a terminal velocity, where the air resistance force is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity.

How do you account for air resistance in freely falling body problems?

To account for air resistance in freely falling body problems, you can use the equation F = mg - kv², where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, k is the constant for air resistance, and v is the velocity of the object. This equation takes into account the opposing force of air resistance, which changes as the object's velocity changes.