Can we know if our knowledge is finite?

In summary: There are a finite number of qualities and parts of us, but an infinite number of things to learn about them. So, in that sense, we can always learn new things about ourselves, but not new "kinds" of things, so to speak.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complete self-knowledge and whether it requires an infinite line of reasoning. This idea is compared to Goedel's incompleteness theorem and the Cretan paradox. The discussion also delves into the question of whether we can know the universe as a whole and if this knowledge is necessary for self-knowledge. There is also a debate over the definition of "self-knowledge" and whether it is finite or infinite. Ultimately, the conversation concludes
Loren Booda
Here I ask if complete self-knowledge must include an infinite line of reasoning. That line would evolve from infinite introspections, each necessary to accommodate the previous external reference to knowledge accumulated.

Shades of Goedel's incompleteness theorem, or more simply, the Cretan paradox? The choices seem to be an infinity, or nonexistance, of self-knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
What, may I inquire, is "self-knowledge"?

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Here I ask if complete self-knowledge must include an infinite line of reasoning. That line would evolve from infinite introspections, each necessary to accommodate the previous external reference to knowledge accumulated.

Shades of Goedel's incompleteness theorem, or more simply, the Cretan paradox? The choices seem to be an infinity, or nonexistance, of self-knowledge.

The Cretan or Liar's Paradox of "This statement is false" implies infinity, but whether or not it really is infinite is something that cannot be established logically. Re-worded as "I do not exist" or "I am not real" it contradicts itself repeatedly. If true, then it is false while if false, it must be true, ad infinitum. However, no one can be logically or scientifically proven to be immortal so the progression must end at some point when they die according to these standards.

In an emotional context, however, it can be resolved. Note that we can replace the word "I" with "ego" to get "Ego does not exist." Obviously this too contradicts logic and scientific knowledge in a potentially infinite loop that can neither be resolved nor realized. Emotionally, however, it is possible we can transend these limitations through surrender or acceptance that the "I" and "existence" are in actuality one and the same thing.

The answer to your question depends upon whether we can know the universe as a whole. Self-identity cannot truly be known unless the system of reference (the universe) is completely understood. Once we have a complete understanding of the existence we reside amongst, we can know ourselves proper.
You really need to ask whether universal-knowledge is infinitely beyond us. Can we know existence (the universe) as a whole? Absolutely? As a singular entity? If so, then we can know ourselves.

I agree with MajinVegeta, that you should define what you mean by "self-knowledge". I understand how Godel's theorems could be applied to systems of understanding, which try to describe themselves, however, I don't see how it applies to knowledge of oneself (if that's even the kind of "self-knowledge" that you are referring to). Please clarify.

Greetings !

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by
"complete self-knowledge". If it is the same
as just "complete knowledge" then it is impossible.
Also, in such a case I don't think that an infinite
line of reasoning is required to reach the partial
knowledge that can be reached but it is a possibility.

In reference to the (apparently separate ?) question
that is the name of this thread I think the "general"
answer is yes - example: we can not comprehend the
lack of time. Generalization of this: The principle
according to which we can limmit what we can comprehend
are the limmits imposed on our understanding by
the laws of physics.

Then again, it is possible that we will uncover new
laws that will allow us to understand it - nothing
in the Universe is absolute (except existence itself).

Live long and prosper.

In regards to "self-knowledge," please refer to the phrase "Can we know if our knowledge is finite?" That is, can we always know something more about ourselves, and if such knowledge is new and cumulative, without limit?

In regards to "self-knowledge," please refer to the phrase "Can we know if our knowledge is finite?" That is, can we always know something more about ourselves, and if such knowledge is new and cumulative, without limit?

Oh, ok. You are asking if we can infinitely learn new things about ourselves? The answer must be yes. I say that because everytime we learn something about ourselves, we also learn that we have learned that new thing about ourselves, and that we have learned that we have learned that new thing about ourselves, and so on...

However, if you mean new qualities of ourselves, or new facts about our bodies and minds, then the answer is probably no.

1. What does it mean for knowledge to be finite?

For knowledge to be finite means that there is a limit to the amount of knowledge that can be acquired or understood. In other words, there is a limit to what we can know and comprehend.

2. How do we determine if our knowledge is finite?

There are several ways to determine if our knowledge is finite. One way is to examine the scope and depth of our current knowledge and compare it to the vastness of the universe and the unknown. Another way is to consider the limitations of our cognitive abilities and the finite amount of time we have to acquire knowledge.

3. Is it possible for our knowledge to be infinite?

It is highly debated whether or not our knowledge can be infinite. Some argue that there will always be something new to discover and learn, therefore our knowledge can never truly be infinite. Others believe that there may be a limit to what we can know, but it is constantly expanding.

4. How does the concept of finite knowledge impact science?

The concept of finite knowledge plays a crucial role in science. It reminds scientists to approach their research with humility and to continuously question and challenge their current understanding. It also drives scientific progress and encourages the pursuit of new knowledge and discoveries.

5. Can advancements in technology lead to infinite knowledge?

Advancements in technology have certainly expanded our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. However, it is unlikely that technology alone can lead to infinite knowledge. As long as there are limitations to our cognitive abilities and the vastness of the unknown, our knowledge will likely always be finite.