Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A New Hope; Talk Spam Episode 2

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Keeping our "forum" chat alive (and the Star Wars name trend (Giggle)), I've decided to open another thread!

What books have you recently been reading? I want to start A Song of Ice and Fire, but I haven't got the time. I haven't read the original "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy also, but don't hit me. (Tmi)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Good idea, Fantini :)

I don't read enough at all so recently I joined a book club to force myself to do this. Our first book was The Great Gatsby, which I've read before but I did enjoy the discussion on it. Next we're reading Crime and Punishment and White Teeth.

Do you read often Fantini (or anyone)?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I used to be an avid reader, but since becoming active on math forums, all my spare time is now taken. (Smile)

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
I don't read as often as I wish I did, but it's somewhat decent. I've recently finished "An Essay On The Psychology of Invention In The Mathematical Field", by Jacques Hadamard. I enjoyed it! I have these "sideways" mathematical interests (Drunk).

Dostoyevsky figures highly in my reading list, even though I haven't gotten to it. I also wish to learn more about greek philosophy. Perhaps Plato could give me a hand! (Wasntme)

Cheers! (Yes)

Fantini

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
A great book I want to make another attempt at since I understand a bit more math now is "The Road To Reality" by Roger Penrose.

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
I've heard about it. Roger Penrose is a prominent figure in the mathematical physics scenario, right? I heard he has proved deep connections of mathematics and physics using complex analysis. You know, Hadamard apparently popularized the saying that "two truths in the real domain pass through the complex domain". (Smile)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I used to be an avid reader, but since becoming active on math forums, all my spare time is now taken. (Smile)
+1

Mostly I reread old books I used to enjoy.
But that's just sentimentality.
I hardly ever read new books, preferring movies, tv series, and math/physics forums over them.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I've heard about it. Roger Penrose is a prominent figure in the mathematical physics scenario, right? I heard he has proved deep connections of mathematics and physics using complex analysis...
I believe he is the father of twistor theory (to which Ed Witten has recently found a connection to M-theory) and I believe he has worked extensively with Stephen Hawking in the past as well, helping to invent some of the mathematics needed.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Recently I was reading about complex analysis (First course in complex analysis by Zill , and complex variables demystified by McMahon ). Currently reading about real analysis .
Sometimes you notice something new in the forum , and just go ahead and read bout it on the fly (like wikipedia or wolfram) which is as interesting as reading books.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Let's see. I finally got a String Theory text, one of my better Quantum Field Theory texts, and I started the Bhagavad-Gita but I think I'm going to drop that one for now since I finally got back to reading the Old Testament. Kinda hard to mix Hindu and Christian books at the same time!

Oh yeah. And when I'm too tired I tend to read some Sci-fi (The "Demons at Rainbow Bridge" trilogy at the moment) and just about any Conan the Barbarian books. I don't really know why I'm attracted to those. But what the hey.

-Dan

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I used to read like mad. From the 3rd grade to 8th grade, I read over 11,000 books. At the end of my 7th grade year, I was reading at a college level.
(Explanation Time) My school district had something called "Accelerated Reading" or "AR". You would have to read books, and then take tests over them. Once I hit High School, I found other interests.... namely cars, music, and girls.

zzephod

Feb 3, 2013
I used to read like mad. From the 3rd grade to 8th grade, I read over 11,000 books. At the end of my 7th grade year, I was reading at a college level.
(Explanation Time) My school district had something called "Accelerated Reading" or "AR". You would have to read books, and then take tests over them. Once I hit High School, I found other interests.... namely cars, music, and girls.
That is more than 5 books a day, or about 3.5hrs per book, which is within the bounds of possibility if you did nothing else.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I am also really curious about this, Austin. Not saying you're lying but that figure seems really high so I want to know some more details! That's great you read so much. As I said, I have to push myself to read 1 book a month sometimes :(.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I read a lot of Science Fiction and Fantasy.
In high school I borrowed on average about 8 books a week from the library.
After a while I exhausted the library.
In university I found this guy that I could borrow from (he bought almost all new SF&F), continuing my madness.
When I got a job, I continued my madness buying my own.

Either way, I have to admit I came nowhere near 5 books a day... (Sadface)

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I am also really curious about this, Austin. Not saying you're lying but that figure seems really high so I want to know some more details! That's great you read so much. As I said, I have to push myself to read 1 book a month sometimes :(.
OK, my accelerated reading career started in the third grade. As comes with the territory, I wasn't reading massive or overly complex books. I just took tests over them. It wasn't until later that I started reading books like "The Count of Monte Cristo".

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
In the book club I'm a member of we're reading White Teeth and Crime and Punishment. Like I said before, I'm not a big reader so this group helps keep me honest and actually read the books. Both are really serious books but still good. I also have a copy of C&P in the original Russian but it's very difficult for me. It's a difficult book to read in English even, haha.

Is anyone else reading a good or interesting book?

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Ugh...I forgot what it feels like to read a book that's not math. XD

I'm thinking that I should get back into reading Shakespeare (one of my favorites) and probably start off with the Tempest, the Taming of the Shrew, and King Lear. (Bigsmile)

One thing I probably won't read right off the bat are his Sonnets...some of them are quite amusing...and interesting. XD

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Personally , I don't like reading any books , but Mathematics , I don't know whether this is a healthy habit or not , but I enjoy it very much (h).

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
I am currently (mostly) reading Ireland & Rosen, Iwaniec & Kowalski and for some fun, one or two papers on Chaos theory in my free time. I am also reading some papers on tetrations and analytic continuations but it seems I have to work more on those areas rather than to read because of the lack of research (perhaps because it's a recent subject of interest?)

Balarka

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Now I feel alone :S I have not read any book in lik 1-2 year:S Since I am Intrested in finance so My last book Was this one. It is a Really good book!

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've found some pretty cool Youtube channels lately. Here's an example of one a video from a channel called Vsauce.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Watch at your own discretion (since this has some foul language); but I was very amused by this (especially when other famous people made their cameos). XD