A new found respect for protesters

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: The general public IS spam.I've been told that when people send emails to Congress, they pretty much tally up the for and against emails, and don't actually read them, so you better make your position clear in the subject line or first sentence. I don't think they actually read even the well-written ones. Apparently, if you want to get attention, you should actually write an old-fashioned paper letter. I don't quite "get" what I call the professional protesters...the ones who seem to have a new cause every weekend. I think it's just a hobby for them. On the other hand,
Pengwuino
Gold Member
No not those PETA idiots or people out burning the flag or claiming Bush sleeping in and missing a meeting was equivalent to the Holocaust... just any normal person that protests when that isn't their 'job' so to speak.

I've been noticing something a lot the past few years. Whenever someone’s mad... they... email people! Right now there’s something on school bullies and these supervisors that don’t care or something and the big conclusion... people emailed the school! Email! Email! EMAIL?? You know, it's so freaken easy to write an email (and I'm sure people probably take on average, 1 minute to write their emails) that I'm really turned off by those kinds of pathetic forms of protesting. Get your butt off the computer and go wave a sign or something infront of the school, storm into the offices, GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! I've always felt you get out of life what you put into it. All e-mail protests shoudl be thrown out, I don't care what the cause. I especially hate when people go "We got 380 zillion emails showing how much support this thingy whatever has!” Give me a break, it takes less time and effort to write an email then it does to actually hear what something is about. Write your congressmen? Email them? No wonder Congress doesn't listen to people, they probably just get a flood of spam email from idiots whose only form of protest is writing a bunch of unintelligible statements and probably not even putting ' Joe Blow' or any other sign that this mailing was meant to be taken seriously.

Signed,
Oh who cares.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
No not those PETA idiots or people out burning the flag or claiming Bush sleeping in and missing a meeting was equivalent to the Holocaust... just any normal person that protests when that isn't their 'job' so to speak.

I've been noticing something a lot the past few years. Whenever someone’s mad... they... email people! Right now there’s something on school bullies and these supervisors that don’t care or something and the big conclusion... people emailed the school! Email! Email! EMAIL?? You know, it's so freaken easy to write an email (and I'm sure people probably take on average, 1 minute to write their emails) that I'm really turned off by those kinds of pathetic forms of protesting. Get your butt off the computer and go wave a sign or something infront of the school, storm into the offices, GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! I've always felt you get out of life what you put into it. All e-mail protests shoudl be thrown out, I don't care what the cause. I especially hate when people go "We got 380 zillion emails showing how much support this thingy whatever has!” Give me a break, it takes less time and effort to write an email then it does to actually hear what something is about. Write your congressmen? Email them? No wonder Congress doesn't listen to people, they probably just get a flood of spam email from idiots whose only form of protest is writing a bunch of unintelligible statements and probably not even putting ' Joe Blow' or any other sign that this mailing was meant to be taken seriously.

Signed,
Oh who cares.

Even though i agrree with you i am going to e mail Evo and protest about this rant.:smile:

I wouldn't think a one minute e-mail would be very effective.

Second, how much attention do e-mails get? Probably none.

JasonRox said:
I wouldn't think a one minute e-mail would be very effective.

Second, how much attention do e-mails get? Probably none.

The general public IS spam.

I've been told that when people send emails to Congress, they pretty much tally up the for and against emails, and don't actually read them, so you better make your position clear in the subject line or first sentence. I don't think they actually read even the well-written ones. Apparently, if you want to get attention, you should actually write an old-fashioned paper letter.

The silly thing is that most people that do those email "protests" just copy and paste the same email everyone else is sending. It's probably pretty easy to set up an email filter to just dump them all straight in the trash with the rest of the spam.

I don't quite "get" what I call the professional protesters...the ones who seem to have a new cause every weekend. I think it's just a hobby for them. On the other hand, when someone truly feels passionate about a particular issue, I think it's good that they speak up for it.

I've heard that if you actually write a letter, some members of congress actually write you back! Only for hand written letters however. With the way some people (ADULTS!) write emails as a 'protest', i would worship a congressmen or company representative if they actually sat down and read every email they got for over a year.

For five years mom and dad have been protesting about a row of trees
that back on to their garden, there is some (act ) about blocking ones light,and they have been told by local councilers that these trees contravene this act and they will get them loped, still waiting.

Last edited:
I've always been a believer in domains of influence rather than protests. But protesting has its place since it draws [can draw] attention to an issue.

The domain of influence approach is seen in concepts such as "think globally, act locally". ~It is easier for me to affect my world and indirectly affect the rest of the world, than to try to change the broader world directly.

Ivan Seeking said:
The domain of influence approach is seen in concepts such as "think globally, act locally". ~It is easier for me to affect my world and indirectly affect the rest of the world, than to try to change the broader world directly.

That's a rather naive (or lazy) way of looking at things. The civil rights movement probably would have never gotten so far if it weren't for people like King. Far reaching consequences rarely happen on participants weekends. Then again you did say easier. Life is what you put into it my alien brethren! Wait no! WRITE AN EMAIL :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Oh email... you've ruined the western world...

On that note, its sad that the only people who devote their lives to protesting tend to make fools of themselves (ie 99% of san francisco based protests) or are protesting for things that make you wonder if the protestors are mentally ill (ie 99% of san francisco based protests).

Oh some idiot came on just now with a thread that's going to get deleted where he asks people ot sign petitions. That's even worse then writing emails! You barely have to write 2 words down. Petitions filed should require automatic arrest of hte petitioners. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

Related to A new found respect for protesters

1. What is the significance of this new found respect for protesters?

The new found respect for protesters represents a shift in societal attitudes towards those who participate in protests. It acknowledges the importance of exercising one's right to peaceful assembly and free speech, and recognizes the impact that protests can have on bringing about change.

2. Why do some people view protesters in a negative light?

Some people may view protesters in a negative light because they may disrupt daily routines or cause inconvenience. Additionally, there may be underlying biases or misunderstandings about the purpose and goals of the protest.

3. How can this new found respect for protesters be sustained?

This new found respect can be sustained through continued education and open dialogue about the importance of protesting and the issues that drive people to take to the streets. It also requires a willingness to listen and understand different perspectives.

4. Are all forms of protest considered respectable?

While the right to protest is protected by law, not all forms of protest may be considered respectable. Protests that involve violence or destruction of property can harm the cause and detract from the message being conveyed. Respectful and peaceful protests have a greater chance of garnering support and bringing about change.

5. Does this new found respect for protesters apply to all types of protests?

Yes, this new found respect should apply to all types of protests, regardless of the cause or ideology behind them. It is important to recognize the right to peaceful assembly and free speech for all individuals and groups, even if their beliefs may differ from our own.