A Naive String Theory Question on 10 Dimensions and Poincare Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a connection between the 10 or 11 dimensions of string theory and the 10 parameters involved in inhomogenous lorentz transformation. However, it is stated that there is no real connection between the two, as the extra dimensions in string theory serve a different purpose.
controlfreak
I do not know much about string theory, but the fact that it involves 10 or 11 dimensions.

I am curious whether this 10 or 11 dimensions of string theory has anything to do with inhomogenous lorentz transformation?.

----
[from Goldstein - section 7-2]

In essence a poincare transformation or inhomogenous lorentz transformation (L) between two frames of reference is

x' = (RP)x + a

P -> Pure Lorentz Transformation
R -> Spatial Rotation
a -> arbitrary translation vector

where x and x' are four dimensional vectors.
---

translating...

P -> beta (v/c) (3 indpendent qtys)
R -> The spatial rotation - euler angles (3 independent qtys)
a -> The initial separation of origins! of frames of references (4 independent qtys)

totalling 10 independent qtys.

Does this have anything to do with string theory's 10 or 11 dimension?

Let me include the one dimension for the string , which is the 11th dimension. I do that as the above transformations where for point (zero dimension) particle based systems.

Now whatever I have said is just total imagination on my part (no physics) in trying to connect 2 unrelated stuff and might be just total bull****, but I was just curious whether they both do have any kind of connection?

String theorists, please throw some light on whether this connection is just a coincidence or does it have any real significance?

Physics news on Phys.org
controlfreak said:
I do not know much about string theory, but the fact that it involves 10 or 11 dimensions.

I am curious whether this 10 or 11 dimensions of string theory has anything to do with inhomogenous lorentz transformation?.

----
[from Goldstein - section 7-2]

In essence a poincare transformation or inhomogenous lorentz transformation (L) between two frames of reference is

x' = (RP)x + a

P -> Pure Lorentz Transformation
R -> Spatial Rotation
a -> arbitrary translation vector

where x and x' are four dimensional vectors.
---

translating...

P -> beta (v/c) (3 indpendent qtys)
R -> The spatial rotation - euler angles (3 independent qtys)
a -> The initial separation of origins! of frames of references (4 independent qtys)

totalling 10 independent qtys.

Does this have anything to do with string theory's 10 or 11 dimension?

Let me include the one dimension for the string , which is the 11th dimension. I do that as the above transformations where for point (zero dimension) particle based systems.

Now whatever I have said is just total imagination on my part (no physics) in trying to connect 2 unrelated stuff and might be just total bull****, but I was just curious whether they both do have any kind of connection?

String theorists, please throw some light on whether this connection is just a coincidence or does it have any real significance?

No. The ten parameters you cite have nothing to do with the extra dimensions of string physics, which consist of six or seven additional space dimensions in addition to the 1 time and 3 space of Minkowski spacetime. The extra dimensions are required for anomalies to cancel in the string theory math.

Thanks for the clarification. I pretty much thought so.

Related to A Naive String Theory Question on 10 Dimensions and Poincare Transformation

1. What is the concept of "10 dimensions" in string theory?

In string theory, the universe is thought to exist in 10 dimensions - three dimensions of space, one dimension of time, and six additional dimensions that are "curled up" or compactified. These extra dimensions are too small to be detected by our current technology, but they are believed to play a crucial role in the behavior of strings.

2. How does Poincare transformation relate to string theory?

Poincare transformation is a mathematical concept that describes how the laws of physics remain consistent in different reference frames. In string theory, Poincare transformation is used to study the behavior of strings in different dimensions and reference frames, providing a deeper understanding of the theory.

3. What are some implications of a 10-dimensional universe?

One implication is that there could be multiple universes existing in these extra dimensions, known as the "multiverse" theory. Additionally, the existence of these extra dimensions could help explain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy.

4. How is this theory different from traditional string theory?

The concept of 10 dimensions and Poincare transformation is an extension of traditional string theory, which initially proposed only 9 dimensions. The addition of a 10th dimension and the use of Poincare transformation helps to address certain issues and inconsistencies in traditional string theory.

5. Is there any evidence to support this theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of a 10-dimensional universe or the use of Poincare transformation in string theory. However, the theory is still being researched and studied, and future experiments and observations may provide evidence in its favor.