Why not use the moon for energy?

• Thread starter Experimenter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a solar collector panel on the moon to harvest energy and bring it back to Earth. However, it is mentioned that the cost and difficulty of getting the energy back to Earth would make this option less feasible compared to placing solar panels on Earth or in orbit. The potential use of focused microwaves and tidal energy is also briefly mentioned, but the practicality and costs involved make them less attractive options. Additionally, it is noted that using desert areas on Earth for solar power would be a more realistic and cost-effective solution. The conversation also touches on the political and economic barriers that may prevent the implementation of alternative energy sources.
Experimenter
Why not build an enormous solar collector panel on the moon and use it to harvest energy and somehow bring it back to earth? Is it the cost of the undertaking?

Experimenter

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting the energy back to Earth would be extremely difficult. It would be a lot easier to place solar panels in various desert areas (U.S southwest, Sahara, Kalari, Arabia, Gobi, etc.) on earth.

Originally posted by mathman
Getting the energy back to Earth would be extremely difficult. It would be a lot easier to place solar panels in various desert areas (U.S southwest, Sahara, Kalari, Arabia, Gobi, etc.) on earth.

Or even just to place them in orbit around the Earth, if you're talking about the advantages of no atmosphere/no night.

microwaves

if you could set that up on the moon could you use focused microwaves to send the energy back to Earth I've always wondered about something like that aswell

thanks

well i think solar panels usually charge up batteries for power, if you put panels on the moon, and use microwaves to send the energy back you could only be getting energy half the time. So you solve that you make the moon send it to a sattleite in geosynchronus orbit to power that and then send power back to us. But i don't think it would be worth it, since no one part of the moon is always pointed at the sun, you would only get a half cycle. So you would only get around 15 days a cycle when the panels are in the sun.

But just think how long the electric cables would have to be!

When I first saw the topic of your post I thought of tides. Is there such a device that uses the tides caused by the gravitational field of the moon to produce energy? Not talking dams or the like, just using tidal motion to produce energy.

Certainly a major (but feasible) engineering undertaking which would require a lot of political motivation (which is not there at the moment).

Building solar panels on the moon isn't that great an option. The moon has a 28 day rotation. Any panel would be active for 14 days and then inactive for 14 days. Couple that with several hundred degree temperature shifts from day to night, and you'd have big problems keeping the array in operation for very long.

An orbital array is more feasible, but there is still a fairly large problem with maintenance. When the cells burn out, replacements would need to be brought up from the surface at $10,000 per pound, and then you'd still need to get a working repair craft to do the fix (which could also break down).

It's possible, but not very practical until we either get construction facilities in orbit for replacement parts or the launch costs drop dramatically.

tides

popular science had an artical about a new way to collect energy from tides i thought it was pretty interesting, i tried finding the artical online but couldn't hope you have more luck, i thought it was really interesting

bleh

Originally posted by kauai_diver
Is there such a device that uses the tides caused by the gravitational field of the moon to produce energy? Not talking dams or the like, just using tidal motion to produce energy.

See here:

http://acdisweb.acdis.uiuc.edu/NPRE201/fall02web/webpages/barthel/tech.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by bleh
popular science had an artical about a new way to collect energy from tides i thought it was pretty interesting, i tried finding the artical online but couldn't hope you have more luck, i thought it was really interesting
Yeah, I saw that one too. But it's not like I din't
think of it before either. It's really the simplest stuff
that even any kid can think of. Funding the consturction
is a different issue. For example, wind turbines could
easily supply all the power needs of the world and they
operate all the time so any country can build them separately
and would just have to make sure it has enough of them.
The construction could easily be managed over the course
of several years so that it would actually cost nothing
at all because the new savings due to the turbines constructed
each year would make up for the costs of their construction
the year before. Once they supply the majority of the
energy a country requires the financial gain, if other countries
are still using fossil fuels or even nuclear plants, would
be enormous since the turbines only require a bit of maintaince
and nothing more. Why isn't being done ? Because an energy
revolution like this in even just one small country will
greatly affect the world's political and mainly economical
arenas and power distribution and the ones in control