A mistake in the wolfram mathworld website

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary: First, I remember wiki giving a terribly false estimate for the totient sum $$\sum_{n\leq x} \frac1{\varphi(n)}$$Which I don't remember what it was and they corrected it afterwards, as I see it.Second is something on tetration, I haven't seen whether it is still there but I can't rember it either.The last is Von Mangoldt. It's fresh as new and you can see all the...er...details about it.I see. I'll have to look into that.I see. I'll have to look into that.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
I was proving a formula for the hypergoemtric function and noticed that there is a mistake in the following page look at equation (1) and compare it to equation (16) in the following page . Is there a way to correct the mistake ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I often come up with a whole lot of mistakes on that particular site.

Look at the leftmost edge of the page and you'll see a tool to send message to the editorial board. Quote the line you feel is incorrect, then send them that.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I was proving a formula for the hypergoemtric function and noticed that there is a mistake in the following page look at equation (1) and compare it to equation (16) in the following page . Is there a way to correct the mistake ?

Hi Zaid, :)

Both of your links refer to the same page. :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi Zaid, :)

Both of your links refer to the same page. :)

Oops , sorry for that , I edited it.

topsquark said:
Hey, WolframAlpha still thinks that the integral of 1/x is log(x).

-Dan

What's wrong with that? ;)

Actually W|A gives $\log(x) + \color{gray}{\text{constant}}$.
And isn't that true for all $x>0$? It's not as if W|A gives a domain.
Isn't it also true for all $x \in \mathbb C^*$?
Anyway, even in the real numbers it is properly:
\begin{cases}\ln x + C_1 & \text{if } x>0 \\ \ln(-x) + C_2 & \text{if } x<0 \end{cases}

I think that W|A prefers complex numbers, or otherwise would probably still not give such a convoluted answer. :rolleyes:

You have to somehow tell Wolfram Alpha that $x$ is a real variable. Otherwise it will assume that $x$ is a complex variable. And if $x$ is a complex variable, $\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x} \ dz = \log(x) + C$ is a true statement.

Random Variable said:
You have to somehow tell Wolfram Alpha that $x$ is a real variable. Otherwise it will assume that $x$ is a complex variable. And if $x$ is a complex variable, $\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x} \ dz = \log(x) + C$ is a true statement.
Good point. Not to hijack the thread but can you quickly tell me how you would tell Wolfram x is real?

-Dan

For whatever reason, I am unable to link directly to the Wolfram Alpha output.

But the following command seems to return nonsense.

assuming[Element[x, Reals] , int [1/x,x]]

mathbalarka said:
I often come up with a whole lot of mistakes on that particular site.

Look at the leftmost edge of the page and you'll see a tool to send message to the editorial board. Quote the line you feel is incorrect, then send them that.
Yeah, right. An awful lot of mistakes. I once tried that send message and sent the error and correction but no one looked at it, and remains incorrect today as well, and so I think its useless. In fact, I think Wikipedia is less error-prone than Mathworld.

Sawarnik said:
Yeah, right. An awful lot of mistakes. I once tried that send message and sent the error and correction but no one looked at it, and remains incorrect today as well, and so I think its useless. In fact, I think Wikipedia is less error-prone than Mathworld.

Which mistake?

I like Serena said:
So where is the mistake in that article?

"and Brahmagupta's formula for the area of a quadrilateral:"

Is the formula after that Brahmagupta's!

Hmm, so the math is perfectly correct and as such MathWorld is reliable.
The problem is that the credits given are not correct in that article.
Just now, I have sent a contribution to MathWorld with the suggestion to correct this.
We'll see.

IlikeSerena said:

At least, more than wikipedia in any case.

mathbalarka said:

I'll bite.
Where is the mistake in wikipedia?

Where is the mistake in wikipedia?

Somehow, I knew you'd say that. There have been many changes in wiki since I saw them, so I will show you only the ones I can find.

First, I remember wiki giving a terribly false estimate for the totient sum

$$\sum_{n\leq x} \frac1{\varphi(n)}$$

Which I don't remember what it was and they corrected it afterwards, as I see it.

Second is something on tetration, I haven't seen whether it is still there but I can't rember it either.

The last is Von Mangoldt. It's fresh as new and you can see all the craps there if you open the page up.

I like Serena said:
The problem is that the credits given are not correct in that article.
Just now, I have sent a contribution to MathWorld with the suggestion to correct this.
We'll see.

No, the formula named is wrong, which is problematic.
And I had already sent a message to them, but there has been no corrections!

- - - Updated - - -

mathbalarka said:

But you can correct errors in Wiki with no prob. The MathWorld team however never listens to any suggestion and the mistake remain mistakes.

But form my experience Wiki is not at all as bad as people say.

Related to A mistake in the wolfram mathworld website

1. What is the mistake in the Wolfram Mathworld website?

The mistake in the Wolfram Mathworld website is an error in the definition of a mathematical concept or a miscalculation in a numerical example.

2. How was the mistake discovered?

The mistake was discovered either by a user who noticed a discrepancy or by the website's team of editors during their regular review process.

3. Who is responsible for correcting the mistake?

The website's team of editors is responsible for correcting the mistake. They have the expertise and authority to make any necessary changes to the content on the website.

4. How long does it take for a mistake to be corrected on the website?

The time it takes for a mistake to be corrected on the website varies depending on the complexity of the mistake and the availability of the editors. In most cases, it can be corrected within a few days.

5. Can users report mistakes on the Wolfram Mathworld website?

Yes, users can report mistakes on the Wolfram Mathworld website by clicking on the "Report an issue" link located at the bottom of each page. This will bring up a form where users can describe the mistake and submit it to the editors for review and correction.