Can Kerry Win Over the Southern States?

• News
  • Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In Summary, The polls show that Kerry is in the lead, but Bush's popularity has fallen below 50%. This could be due to the Iraq war, Hurricane Katrina, the economy, or any number of things.
Originally posted by Dissident Dan
I think that a big difference between people who will and will not vote for bush is whether they realize that he is a big liar.
Thats what I thought about Clinton too. Clearly people don't much care about that if they have money in their wallet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by phatmonky
You's a be right! I'm just a dumb ol' southern boy and my vote be just race based. Excuse me now, I need to get back hangin' some niggas and ****ing cows with the rest of the uneducated folk inbreeding down here sir!

David Duke received 70% of the white vote when he ran for senate in Lousiana. There were two reasons for voting for Duke - mouth frothing racism and abject stupidity. I, for one, don't think the people of Lousiana are that stupid.

Njorl

Originally posted by phatmonky
I guess Kerry is a closet racist, or we aren't dumb hillbillies looking for a good ol' boy...one of the two.

I'll go slowly so that even you can understand.

This was a primary election.

Kerry won the Democratic party's election.

It is the Republican party that has pursued the open strategy of pusruing the racist vote in the south.

Most southern racists have switched to the Republican party.

Therefore, the majority of the devout racists were not voting in the Democratic primary.

And,just to clarify, "hillbilly" is a derogatory term used to describe those living in the Appalachian mountains. It is not restricted to the south. They are derided by the white southern establishment. In West Virginia and the mountainous parts of Tennessee they were staunch unionists and among the most virulent of anti-slavery fanatics. They have been preponderantly pro big government, switching from republican to democrat a few decades before the majority of white southerners switched from democrat to republican. No, I do not think all southerners are "hillbillies". More is the pity.

Njorl

Well, let me counter both of your post with one link...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3269997.stm

It seems those pesky racist louisiana republicans were keeping an Indian-American ahead in the polls.

Now granted I will confess, Jindel barely lost (52-48), but you can clearly see from the following link that it wasn't from redneck southerners (well, unless you consider Jindel getting less than 10% of the black vote to be a sign of racism. In that case, you can explain how a white woman was favored so heavily by the black population).
Polls...
http://www.theadvertiser.com/news/html/E988BE4C-8550-4739-9C14-69A573364052.shtml

But, I digress. I need to go see about rustlin' up some coloreds to beat up...
[zz)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Njorl

And,just to clarify, "hillbilly" is a derogatory term used to describe those living in the Appalachian mountains. It is not restricted to the south. They are derided by the white southern establishment. In West Virginia and the mountainous parts of Tennessee they were staunch unionists and among the most virulent of anti-slavery fanatics. They have been preponderantly pro big government, switching from republican to democrat a few decades before the majority of white southerners switched from democrat to republican. No, I do not think all southerners are "hillbillies". More is the pity.

Njorl

If I remember correctly, to clarify your clarification, the hillbillies were originally the "Appalachian Whites" in pre-post Civil War era, and their isolation kept them away from the then-current slave trade. Because of this, the hillbillies generally had pro-northern views at that time.

Duh Bush is going to win!

Obviously he got a bombshell in his pocket - like the cure for AIDS or his plan to oust Fidel and Gadaffi!

Couldn't anyone see this coming?

I don't think he's going to win, he's lost all credibility. Kerry and the democrats have no problem exposing his hypocricy.

I'm just going by intuition here. Bush is going to win.

Is that intuition... or Hype?

Hehee..I don't hate him nor do I like him, but that's how it usually ends up. It will most likely be a close fight though

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Is that intuition... or Hype?

Incumbent + huge campaign fund + nukular = winner.

Howard Dean blew through 40 million in one crazy weekend and never won a caucus, so money isn't everything in politics, especially if people see you as untrustworthy. If people were to vote exactly the same as in 2000, it would only take one state or 540 votes in florida to turn the tables.

I think part of the reason Howard Dean lost is like most Guys he couldn't control his mouth!

Last edited:

Originally posted by Mattius_
Lose the election!

Now predict further...Who will WIN the election?

I'm not thrilled about any of the blokes running for office, but I favor President Bush over the Democrats for various reasons. However, whoever wins needs to quit pressuring Israel to "practice restraint" in our war against terrorism, if we're serious, with our allies, in winning such a war of attrition...

I have no idea when the general election in Britain is, but i think both are going to have a close connection. If Blair/Bush gets voted out, then so will Bush/Blair. However I am not so sure on this. Blair is Bush's lapdog, so if Bush leaves, Tony doesn't have a hope in hell, but i don't know about if Tony is voted out first, as he doesn't have that much of an influence in America, but i hope that Tony gets ousted no matter what, i have had enough of the smarmy big-earred gimp who has turned Britain into the carpet of the world.

Anyway, i don't see why there is a such a big hoo-har about who the South/Coasts vote for. In Britain, the South (usually the richer area) vote for the Conservative and right-wing parties whereas the North tend for Labour and the social parties. But that is less constant nowadays. However a lot of the armed forces will vote conservative no matter what. So stop yer damn whining about which part of the country votes for who, and put REAL reasons down.

Ahh what the hell, Tony and Dubya will probably both rig it!

Last edited:
Kerry has to take all of the states Gore took in 2000 plus one other, fairly populous state. Examples Ohio, Tennessee, Florida. The dems seem to be writing Florida off, for obvious reasons. But Ohio has been hard hit by layoffs and could be up for grabs.

But how can Kerry possibly hope to win all those southern states that Gore won because he was a southerner? :wink:

Njorl

Southern States?

Originally posted by Njorl
But how can Kerry possibly hope to win all those southern states that Gore won because he was a southerner? :wink:

Njorl

Umm, which southern states would those be? (Yeah, I saw the wink, but some folks might be taken in).