A Mass-Spring System with Recoil and Friction

Solve these equations simultaneoulsy to find k in terms of mu, m, g, and v.In summary, to find the spring constant k in terms of mu, m, g, and v, we can use energy relationships and solve for k by setting the work done by friction equal to the change in potential energy of the spring. This yields k = m*((2*(mu)*g)/v)^2.
Heart
Here's the question:
"An object of mass m is traveling on a horizontal surface. There is a coefficient of kinetic friction mu between the object and the surface. The object has speed v when it reaches x = 0 and encounters a spring. The object compresses the spring, stops, and then recoils and travels in the opposite direction. When the object reaches x = 0 on its return trip, it stops."

"Find k , the spring constant. Express in terms of mu, m, g, and v."

I'm stuck. So I used the conservation of energy law + the friction work. They don't want x in the terms of the answer. How can that be possible when x is part of the elastic potential energy.

Any helps would be appreciated. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heart said:
Here's the question:
"An object of mass m is traveling on a horizontal surface. There is a coefficient of kinetic friction mu between the object and the surface. The object has speed v when it reaches x = 0 and encounters a spring. The object compresses the spring, stops, and then recoils and travels in the opposite direction. When the object reaches x = 0 on its return trip, it stops."

"Find k , the spring constant. Express in terms of mu, m, g, and v."

I'm stuck. So I used the conservation of energy law + the friction work. They don't want x in the terms of the answer. How can that be possible when x is part of the elastic potential energy.

Any helps would be appreciated. :confused:

When the object touches the spring you have :
[tex]{\mu}N + kx = ma_x[/tex] and [tex]N -mg = 0[/tex]

So the normal force is always N =mg because you don't move in the y-direction.

When the object is recoiled you have in the x-direction :

[tex]{\mu}N - kx = ma_x[/tex]

Try to use these equations...

You can't use conservation of energy because due to the friction, this system is NOT conservative...

regards
marlon, ps : N is the normal force on the object in the y-direction...

Thanks, Marlon

but wouldn't I still be stuck with x, if I use the (mu)mg - kx = ma equation?

Also, do I use 0 = v^2 + 2ax to get rid of a? (vf = 0) :confused:
and have a = -(v^2)/2x, which I 'm stuck with x? but they want the answer in terms of mu, m, g, and v.

Last edited:
I suggest you work with [tex]x = x_0 + v_0 * t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

Also make use of the conditions that are given... v at x = 0 etc...

regards
marlon

but if I use that equation, wouldn't there be one more variable (t) involved that's not part of the terms they want; wouldn't that make things even more complex?

No, i just gave a push into the right direction...it is not the whole picture...

Look how about this : x = vt and v = at...if you substitute t then this yields : v²= ax

marlon

are you saying use a=(v^2)/x

and (mu)mg - kx = m(v^2)/x ? This equation still has x in it and they only want the answer in terms of mu, m, g, and v.

and if you say x = (v^2)/a, then it's like going around in circle with either a or x as part of the terms for the answer, but they neither want x, nor a.

I'm confused. :confused: How could it be possible to find k in terms of only mu, m, g, and v?

(mu)mg - kx = m(v^2)/x

If I rearrange the above equation, I get kx = (mu)mg - m(v^2)/x
Multiply the equation by x, I get k = mumgx - m(v^2)
if x = 0, k = -mv^2

That can't be right

Any helps would be appreciated. I'm really desperate now.

Also, you can work with [tex]{\Delta}K + {\Delta}U +{\mu} * d = 0[/tex]

Where K is kinetic energy...
U potential energu of spring
d displacement during the period when work is done...

Evaluate these quantities ab initio and at the end...I mean one time when the object touches the spring + when the spring is maximally pressed down by the object. Then another time when the spring starts to move again and when the object needs to be still and the spring has again its natural length...

good luck

regards
marlon

I've been stuck on the same problem for hours. :mad:
They ask for the answer in terms of mu, m, g, and v only which is what really screws me up.
I know there are all ready a lot of posts but any other help would be great.

Finding the compression of the spring, I found that E_final=E_initial+W_nonconservative where E_final is zero and E_initial=(1/2*m*v^2).
What would the W_nonconservative be?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

How about writing a general equation for the object
ma-kx = mu N where a = d^2 x/dt^2. Solving this DE will give t as a function of x. Substitute that in x = x0 + ut + 1/2 a t^2 to get the distance traveled x.

Assuming I'm right, I figured k= (2*m*g*mu)/x but I need to get rid of x somehow so that the answer is in terms of mu, m, g, and v only...does anyone have any suggestions? :redface:

I found the spring constant to be k=m*(((2*(mu)*g)/v)^2) but I'm not sure if my algebra is correct. Can anybody help? :confused:

As marlon suggested, use energy methods to solve this. Assuming that the spring compresses to the point x = d. You can write two energy relationships:
one for the compression to x = d:
[tex]1/2 m v^2 = \mu mgd + 1/2 k d^2[/tex]
another for the decompression back to x = 0:
[tex]1/2 k d^2 = \mu mgd[/tex]

Related to A Mass-Spring System with Recoil and Friction

1. What is a mass-spring system with recoil and friction?

A mass-spring system with recoil and friction refers to a physical system in which a mass is attached to a spring that is fixed at one end and the other end is attached to a surface with friction. When the mass is pulled or pushed, the spring undergoes compression or extension, causing the mass to oscillate back and forth. The friction from the surface and the recoil of the spring affect the motion of the mass.

2. What factors affect the behavior of a mass-spring system with recoil and friction?

The behavior of a mass-spring system with recoil and friction is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the amount of friction from the surface, and the initial displacement or velocity of the mass.

3. How does friction affect the motion of a mass-spring system with recoil and friction?

The friction from the surface in a mass-spring system with recoil and friction acts as a damping force, which reduces the amplitude of the oscillations and eventually brings the mass to rest. It also affects the frequency and period of the oscillations.

4. How does the recoil of the spring affect the motion of a mass-spring system with recoil and friction?

The recoil of the spring in a mass-spring system with recoil and friction is responsible for the restoring force that brings the mass back to its equilibrium position. It affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations.

5. What are some real-life applications of a mass-spring system with recoil and friction?

Mass-spring systems with recoil and friction can be found in a variety of real-life applications, such as shock absorbers in vehicles, door closers, and pogo sticks. They are also commonly used in the design of mechanical watches and clock pendulums.