A mass inside a horizontal spring

In summary, Homework Equations state that the angular frequency, k, of an oscillation is determined by the equation: w = sqrt(k/m)
tecnica

Homework Statement

We have a spring of length l0 tied to two vertical non moving sticks. We place a mass m at 0,45l0 and let it oscillate. If we measure the period of an oscillation, we can find the angular frequency and calculate k. The question is, how can I calculate k1 and k2, the constants of each one of the pieces on both sides of the mass?

Homework Equations

w=sqrt (k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the thing is, I don't know if k=k1+k2 or 1/k=1/k1+1/k2

Physics news on Phys.org
Which one do you think is correct and why?
We require students to make attempts, the reason for this is that it helps you better in the long run if we help you think rather than simply provide you with an answer.

Orodruin said:
Which one do you think is correct and why?
We require students to make attempts, the reason for this is that it helps you better in the long run if we help you think rather than simply provide you with an answer.
I guess it is k=k1+k2, because when you move it Δx, the force acting on it is -(k1+k2)Δx, right?

Each of the parts of the spring give a force proportional to their spring constants so what you have given is the spring constant relevant for computing the angular frequency. But you should stop and think for a moment if this is actually the spring constant k of the full spring.

@Orodruin So the spring constant relevant for computing the angular frequency is the one that obeys k=k1+k2, and the spring constant of the full spring obeys 1/k=1/k1+1/k2, right?

Yes. In order to solve this you will also need to think about an additional condition for the relationship between k1 and k2 (a hint is that it will depend on where the mass was connected onto the spring). I also suggest calling the spring constant of the original spring k0 and the spring constant relevant for the angular frequency k in order not to mix them up.

tecnica,

If you have two identical springs, except that one spring is twice as long as the other, which one exhibits a higher spring constant?

Chet

Likes tecnica
Chestermiller said:
tecnica,

If you have two identical springs, except that one spring is twice as long as the other, which one exhibits a higher spring constant?

Chet

I'm guessing the shorter one has a higher spring constant.

Orodruin said:
Yes. In order to solve this you will also need to think about an additional condition for the relationship between k1 and k2 (a hint is that it will depend on where the mass was connected onto the spring). I also suggest calling the spring constant of the original spring k0 and the spring constant relevant for the angular frequency k in order not to mix them up.

Could it be l1k1+l2k2=l0k (where this k is the one used for the angular frequency)? l1 is the distance between the left vertical stick and the mass, and l2 is the distance between the mass and the right stick.

tecnica said:
I'm guessing the shorter one has a higher spring constant.
Could it be l1k1+l2k2=l0k (where this k is the one used for the angular frequency)? l1 is the distance between the left vertical stick and the mass, and l2 is the distance between the mass and the right stick.
It might help if you concentrate on one side, l1 say. How does k1 relate to k?

Likes tecnica
haruspex said:
It might help if you concentrate on one side, l1 say. How does k1 relate to k?
Could it be (l1/l0)k1=k ?

tecnica said:
Could it be (l1/l0)k1=k ?
Yes.

Likes tecnica
Yes, but with k0, the spring constant of the full spring, not k, the spring constant appearing in the angular frequency.

Likes tecnica
Orodruin said:
Yes, but with k0, the spring constant of the full spring, not k, the spring constant appearing in the angular frequency.
Glad you caught that - I hadn't checked back with the OP to see exactly what k meant here.

haruspex said:
Glad you caught that - I hadn't checked back with the OP to see exactly what k meant here.
Well, part of the problem was that it was not defined in the OP but the same symbol k was used for both ... I defined it in post #6. :wink:

Likes tecnica
Thank you guys, I understand it all now :woot:

Related to A mass inside a horizontal spring

1. What is a mass inside a horizontal spring?

A mass inside a horizontal spring refers to a physical system where a mass is attached to a horizontal spring and can move back and forth along the spring's axis.

2. What is the relationship between the mass and the spring in this system?

In this system, the mass and the spring are connected through a force that is proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This force is known as the spring force and follows Hooke's law, where the force is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the displacement.

3. How does the mass affect the motion of the spring?

The mass affects the motion of the spring by determining the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. A larger mass will result in a larger amplitude and a slower frequency, while a smaller mass will result in a smaller amplitude and a faster frequency.

4. What is the equilibrium position in this system?

The equilibrium position in this system is the position where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and the mass is at rest. At this position, the spring force is equal to the force of gravity acting on the mass.

5. How can the motion of the mass inside the spring be described?

The motion of the mass inside the spring can be described using simple harmonic motion, where the displacement of the mass follows a sinusoidal pattern over time. The equation for this motion is given by x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.