Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A Manifold 'Properly' Contained in Another

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Question: Let $M$ be a $k$-manifold-without-boundary in $\mathbb R^n$ and $N$ be another manifold-without-boundary in $\mathbb R^n$ such that $M\subseteq N$.

Assume that there exists a point $\mathbf p\in M$ such that each neighborhood $U$ of $\mathbf p$ has a point $\mathbf q\in U$ such that $\mathbf q\in N\setminus M$.

Then can $N$ possibly be a $k$-manifold?
___

Intuitively it seems obvious that the dimension of $N$ should be greater than $k$ but I haven't been able to make any progress to make it into a proof.

Can somebody help?

Thanks.

ThePerfectHacker

Jan 26, 2012
Question: Let $M$ be a $k$-manifold-without-boundary in $\mathbb R^n$ and $N$ be another manifold-without-boundary in $\mathbb R^n$ such that $M\subseteq N$.

Assume that there exists a point $\mathbf p\in M$ such that each neighborhood $U$ of $\mathbf p$ has a point $\mathbf q\in U$ such that $\mathbf q\in N\setminus M$.

Then can $N$ possibly be a $k$-manifold?
One of my professors came up with a nice short argument. I will lengthen it by a lot to add more detail.

We will work more generally with topological manifolds.

Definition: Let $M\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$. We say that $M$ is a topological $k$-manifold if for every $p\in M$ there exists an open set $U\subset \mathbb{R}^n$, an open set $V\subset \mathbb{R}^k$ and a homeomorphism $\varphi: (M\cap U)\to V$. "Homeomorphism" is just that $\varphi$ is bijective, continuous, and $\varphi^{-1}$ is continuous.

Notice this is essentially the same exactly definition as smooth manifold, except instead of $\varphi$ being a hemeomorphism it is a diffeomorphism. We will prove the following theorem. I will assume you know some basic topological definitions.

Theorem: Let $M\subseteq N \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ be topological $k$-manifolds, in this case $M$ is open subset of $N$.

Recall, that $N$ being a subset of $\mathbb{R}^n$ inherits the topology of $\mathbb{R}^n$ in the following way. The open subsets of $N$ are defined by $W\cap N$ where $W$ is an open subset of $\mathbb{R}^n$. Thus, when we claim that $M$ is an open subset of $N$ we are claiming that $M = W\cap N$ for some open set $W\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$.

Corollary: If $M\subseteq N\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$, topological manifolds, and there is a $p\in M$ such that for any open set $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ containing $p$ there is a point $q\in U$ with $q\in N\setminus M$ then $\dim M < \dim N$.

Proof: If $\dim M = \dim N$ by theorem $M$ would be an open subset of $N$. In particular, there be an open set $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ such that $M = (U\cap N)$ is open. Now it follows that for every $p\in M$ we have $p\in U$ and since $N\cap U = M$ we have that every $q\in U\cap N$ must belong to $M$ as well which contradicts our hypothesis.

Let us prove the theorem. The theorem rests on the following topological result.

Brouwer's Invariance of Domain: Let $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ be an open set and $f:U\to \mathbb{R}^n$ be a continuous injective map. Then $f$ is an open map. In other words, for any open set $V$, a subset of $U$, we have $f(V)$ is open, so in particular, $f(U)$ is open.

Proof: Let $p\in M$, since $M$ and $N$ are both $k$-manifolds we can find an open sets $A,B\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$, each containing $p$, open sets $X,Y\subseteq \mathbb{R}^k$, and homeomorphisms $\varphi: (A\cap M)\to X, ~ \psi: (B\cap N)\to Y$. Let $U = A\cap B$, so $U$ is an open set. Let $V = \varphi(U)$ and $W = \psi(U)$, these are open subsets of $\mathbb{R}^k$ since $\varphi,\psi$ are homeomorphism (so it maps open sets to open sets). Thus, we have homeomorphisms $\varphi|_U: (U\cap M)\to \varphi(U)$ and $\psi|_V: (V\cap M)\to \psi(V)$. [There is a slight abuse on notation when these maps are restricted but I hope you understand that was only done to simplify the notation.]

Basically, all we are trying to say, is that, for $p\in M$ we can find an open $U\subset \mathbb{R}^n$, open $V,W\subset \mathbb{R}^k$, with $p\in U$, and homeomorphisms $\varphi: (U\cap M)\to V$ and $\psi: (U\cap N)\to W$.

Let $i: (U\cap M)\to (U\cap N)$ be the inclusion map $i(x) = x$ which is well-defined and continuous as $M\subseteq N$. Define $F=\psi \circ i\circ \varphi^{-1}:V\to W$. This map is injective as each function comprosing it was. This map is continuous as each in it is continuous. Furthermore, $V,W\subset \mathbb{R}^k$ so that $F:V\to \mathbb{R}^k$ and it satisfies the conditions of IOD theorem, it follows that $F$ is an open map.

We claim that $i: (U\cap M)\to (U\cap N)$ is an open map as well. Pick any $\mathcal{O}$ open in $(U\cap M)$. Then $i(\mathcal{O}) = \psi^{-1}( F(\varphi(\mathcal{O})))$ which is open, as each map $\psi^{-1},F,\varphi$ in the composition is open. Therefore, $U\cap M$ is an open subset of $U\cap N$.

I leave the last step to you to figure out why this implies that $M$ must be open in $N$.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
One of my professors came up with a nice short argument. I will lengthen it by a lot to add more detail.

We will work more generally with topological manifolds.

Definition: Let $M\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$. We say that $M$ is a topological $k$-manifold if for every $p\in M$ there exists an open set $U\subset \mathbb{R}^n$, an open set $V\subset \mathbb{R}^k$ and a homeomorphism $\varphi: (M\cap U)\to V$. "Homeomorphism" is just that $\varphi$ is bijective, continuous, and $\varphi^{-1}$ is continuous.

Notice this is essentially the same exactly definition as smooth manifold, except instead of $\varphi$ being a hemeomorphism it is a diffeomorphism. We will prove the following theorem. I will assume you know some basic topological definitions.

Theorem: Let $M\subseteq N \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ be topological $k$-manifolds, in this case $M$ is open subset of $N$.

Recall, that $N$ being a subset of $\mathbb{R}^n$ inherits the topology of $\mathbb{R}^n$ in the following way. The open subsets of $N$ are defined by $W\cap N$ where $W$ is an open subset of $\mathbb{R}^n$. Thus, when we claim that $M$ is an open subset of $N$ we are claiming that $M = W\cap N$ for some open set $W\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$.

Corollary: If $M\subseteq N\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$, topological manifolds, and there is a $p\in M$ such that for any open set $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ containing $p$ there is a point $q\in U$ with $q\in N\setminus M$ then $\dim M < \dim N$.

Proof: If $\dim M = \dim N$ by theorem $M$ would be an open subset of $N$. In particular, there be an open set $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ such that $M = (U\cap N)$ is open. Now it follows that for every $p\in M$ we have $p\in U$ and since $N\cap U = M$ we have that every $q\in U\cap N$ must belong to $M$ as well which contradicts our hypothesis.

Let us prove the theorem. The theorem rests on the following topological result.

Brouwer's Invariance of Domain: Let $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ be an open set and $f:U\to \mathbb{R}^n$ be a continuous injective map. Then $f$ is an open map. In other words, for any open set $V$, a subset of $U$, we have $f(V)$ is open, so in particular, $f(U)$ is open.

Proof: Let $p\in M$, since $M$ and $N$ are both $k$-manifolds we can find an open sets $A,B\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$, each containing $p$, open sets $X,Y\subseteq \mathbb{R}^k$, and homeomorphisms $\varphi: (A\cap M)\to X, ~ \psi: (B\cap N)\to Y$. Let $U = A\cap B$, so $U$ is an open set. Let $V = \varphi(U)$ and $W = \psi(U)$, these are open subsets of $\mathbb{R}^k$ since $\varphi,\psi$ are homeomorphism (so it maps open sets to open sets). Thus, we have homeomorphisms $\varphi|_U: (U\cap M)\to \varphi(U)$ and $\psi|_V: (V\cap M)\to \psi(V)$. [There is a slight abuse on notation when these maps are restricted but I hope you understand that was only done to simplify the notation.]

Basically, all we are trying to say, is that, for $p\in M$ we can find an open $U\subset \mathbb{R}^n$, open $V,W\subset \mathbb{R}^k$, with $p\in U$, and homeomorphisms $\varphi: (U\cap M)\to V$ and $\psi: (U\cap N)\to W$.

Let $i: (U\cap M)\to (U\cap N)$ be the inclusion map $i(x) = x$ which is well-defined and continuous as $M\subseteq N$. Define $F=\psi \circ i\circ \varphi^{-1}:V\to W$. This map is injective as each function comprosing it was. This map is continuous as each in it is continuous. Furthermore, $V,W\subset \mathbb{R}^k$ so that $F:V\to \mathbb{R}^k$ and it satisfies the conditions of IOD theorem, it follows that $F$ is an open map.

We claim that $i: (U\cap M)\to (U\cap N)$ is an open map as well. Pick any $\mathcal{O}$ open in $(U\cap M)$. Then $i(\mathcal{O}) = \psi^{-1}( F(\varphi(\mathcal{O})))$ which is open, as each map $\psi^{-1},F,\varphi$ in the composition is open. Therefore, $U\cap M$ is an open subset of $U\cap N$.

I leave the last step to you to figure out why this implies that $M$ must be open in $N$.
Thank you so so much for taking your time out to post this long answer. Really.

You have proved something stronger than what I required!

I think I should be able to simplify the argument by using the fact that $M$ and $N$ are not just topological manifolds but also differentiable manifolds. I may not need to use 'Brower's Invariance of Domain'. I can use exactly what is used in advanced calculus books to prove the Inverse Function Theorem.

ThePerfectHacker

Jan 26, 2012
Thank you so so much for taking your time out to post this long answer. Really.

You have proved something stronger than what I required!

I think I should be able to simplify the argument by using the fact that $M$ and $N$ are not just topological manifolds but also differentiable manifolds. I may not need to use 'Brower's Invariance of Domain'. I can use exactly what is used in advanced calculus books to prove the Inverse Function Theorem.
You do not need to use IOD theorem. You just need the smooth version:

Theorem: Let $U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^n$ be open and $f:U\to \mathbb{R}^n$ is smooth and injective then $f(U)$ is open.

The proof above goes through exactly for smooth manifolds by replacing the words "homeomorphic" with "diffeomorphic".