A magic number or only a number?

• B
  • Thread starter Ssnow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary, the conversation discusses the gravitational and electric force of a system composed of two fixed electrons, and the discovery of a pure number when examining the ratio between the two forces. The questions raised include the significance and constancy of this number, and any potential relationship to the age of the universe. The conversation also mentions P Dirac's Large Number Hypothesis as a potential connection to the discovered number.
Ssnow
Gold Member
Hi to all entire community,
I was reading the book of R.Feynmann: "Six easy pieces" when at certain point He started to consider the gravitational force ##F_{g}## and the electric force ##F_{e}## of a system composed by two electrons fixed at a certain distance (I think electrons are in the empty space). The interesting fact is that when you examine the ratio you find this pure number:

[tex]\frac{F_{g}}{\left|F_{e}\right|}\,=\,\frac{1}{4,17\cdot 10^{42}} [/tex]

The questions for the discussion are: has this number some significant meaning? It is a constant number? There is some relationship between this number and the age of the universe ? or it is simply a number?

Ps. I know these questions are unanswered but if somebody has some news or some connection with similar problems
we can satisfy partially the curiosity...
Thanks,
Ssnow

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you encountered P Dirac's Large Number Hypothesis?

Likes Klystron and Ssnow
hutchphd said:
Have you encountered P Dirac's Large Number Hypothesis?

No never, but now that I can see on Wiki I found it! In fact seems to be a coincidence, at least approximatively ...
Ssnow

Related to A magic number or only a number?

1. What is a magic number?

A magic number is a term used in mathematics and computer science to refer to a special number that has unique properties or significance. It can also refer to a number that is believed to have mystical or supernatural powers.

2. How is a magic number different from a regular number?

A magic number is different from a regular number in that it has special properties or significance that sets it apart from other numbers. It may have unique mathematical properties, cultural significance, or be associated with superstitions or beliefs.

3. Are magic numbers real or just a concept?

Magic numbers are a concept that is used in various fields, including mathematics, computer science, and even in popular culture. While they may have real-world applications and significance, they are not considered to have any supernatural or mystical powers.

4. How are magic numbers used in programming?

In programming, magic numbers are often used as special values that have specific meanings or functions within a program. They can be used to represent constants or to trigger certain actions or conditions within the code.

5. Can anyone create a magic number?

Technically, anyone can create a number and label it as a magic number. However, for a number to truly be considered a magic number, it must have some sort of unique significance or properties that set it apart from other numbers. This can be achieved through mathematical calculations, cultural beliefs, or other factors.