A little idea I had with a lot of flaws...

• Thread starter Cristiano_Naruto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: HomeDepotUS-_-Main%20Logic%201%20-%20Tools%20%26%20Hardware&cm_mmc=email-_-HomeDepotUS-_-Main%20Logic%201%20-%20Tools%20%26%20Hardware I found this at Home Depot.
Cristiano_Naruto
First things first, I feel I am a complete novice and I don't know a lot about physics or chemistry. I posted this for you to tell me why and if this idea makes sense. Open to criticism.

So, I was thinking about an automatic hammer. A hammer that moves on its own.

In the design, half of the hammer could be cut in. Then hinges could be placed so the hammer could go up and down without losing one piece. Then I thought, if we attached a holder to the bottom piece, and attach a metal rod to the top piece, dragging the top piece through the holder, up and down, could replicate hitting with a hammer.

But that's just too simple. A hammer supposedly exerts over 9000 joules of force on the nail it hits. So I thought of replicating this with the same mechanism as bullets. Either using an small bomb, at the end of the rod, so that when a switch is hit, the rod is rushed forcefully upwards. Or, maybe explosive gases could be used, such as reacting Potassium with water or some chemical process I don't know about.

Then, if an explosive mechanism to power the rod upwards were even to work, what's to say about safety and not damaging the holder? Well, making a protective casing with Calcium Silicate or Potassium Silicate could work, as they are resistant to heat, fire and I'm hoping explosions. Or maybe use the same principle as firing of bullets?

So, I'm sure it has a million flaws, but feel free to point them out, I want to learn.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also, when calculating for momentum of a hammer, do you use the mass of the hammer head or the mass of the hammer?

Not to be too blunt but... What the hell are you talking about?

What do you mean automatic hammer.

Likes berkeman
Like, it doesn't require you to raise your arm and drop it before exerting force on a nail. It just basically moves on it's own with the press of a button.

There are already plenty of automatic hammers on the market.

Most people use a nail gun for extended periods of hammering.

As above. OP What you describe already exists. You have drop hammers, big power hammers, pneumatic hammers, hydraulic presses, handheld automatic hammers, nail guns.

All eventualities for hammering, forming or nailing stuff together kind of exists already.

Also OP, if you want to apply force quickly in tool form. Rather than thinking of combusion, think compressed air. ;)

Just make sure the on-off switch doesn't stick:

Likes CalcNerd, billy_joule and CWatters
Homer Simpson's Electrical Hammer (working, made from scratch).

Love the way he whistles the theme tune at the end.

Likes billy_joule
Thanks though. Kinda upset so many different kinds were made already..thought I stumbled upon a "Eureka" moment. And how exactly can compressed air be used? Over and over?

Cristiano_Naruto said:
And how exactly can compressed air be used?
upload_2016-6-5_13-50-33.png

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-0-Mini-Impact-Palm-Nailer-PN350/203764517

Related to A little idea I had with a lot of flaws...

1. What is the idea behind "A little idea I had with a lot of flaws..."?

The idea behind this concept is to encourage creative thinking and problem-solving by embracing imperfections and flaws. It encourages people to not be afraid of failure and to see it as an opportunity for growth and improvement.

2. How can this concept be applied in real life?

This concept can be applied in various aspects of life, such as personal projects, work, and relationships. It encourages individuals to take risks and try new things, even if they may not be perfect, in order to learn and grow. It can also help in developing resilience and perseverance.

3. What are some potential challenges with this concept?

One potential challenge could be the fear of failure and the pressure to always strive for perfection. It may also be difficult for some individuals to embrace their flaws and imperfections, as it goes against societal norms and expectations.

4. How can we overcome these challenges?

To overcome these challenges, it is important to shift our mindset and see failure as an opportunity for growth and learning. We can also surround ourselves with a supportive and encouraging community that embraces imperfections and encourages us to take risks. Practicing self-compassion and self-acceptance can also help in embracing our flaws.

5. How can this concept contribute to scientific research and innovation?

This concept can contribute to scientific research and innovation by promoting a culture of experimentation and risk-taking. It can also encourage collaboration and open-mindedness, as individuals are more likely to share their ideas and thoughts without fear of judgment. Embracing imperfections can also lead to new and unexpected discoveries in the scientific field.