A light-cone diagram in Gnuplot

In summary, a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot is a graph that displays the relationship between time and space in a relativistic system. It can be created by defining parametric equations and plotting them on a 2D plane. Its significance in physics lies in its ability to illustrate fundamental principles of special relativity, and it can be customized for different scenarios. Researchers can use light-cone diagrams in Gnuplot for visualizing and analyzing data in various fields of research, such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics, to understand the behavior of objects and events in spacetime and test theories and models.
sketos
Hello,

If you visit this link (http://maia.ice.cat/cosmocomp/bcn_workshop/woodward.pdf ) you will see in page 3 a light-cone diagram!

How is it possible to generate it in GNUPLOT?

Note: i have a "data.file" with points and the columms are:
1) z (redshift)
2)Right ascension (RA)

Simillarly with the graph in the above link,
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, that is a polar plot. There are routines in gnuplot to draw a section of a circle.

Related to A light-cone diagram in Gnuplot

1. What is a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot?

A light-cone diagram in Gnuplot is a graphical representation of the relationship between time and space in a relativistic system. It shows the paths of light rays and objects in spacetime, with the vertical axis representing time and the horizontal axis representing space.

2. How do I create a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot?

To create a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot, you can use the "set parametric" command to define the parametric equations for the light rays and objects in your system. Then, use the "plot" command to plot these equations on a 2D plane, with time on the vertical axis and space on the horizontal axis.

3. What is the significance of a light-cone diagram in physics?

A light-cone diagram is significant in physics because it illustrates the fundamental principles of special relativity, including the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. It also allows for the visualization of causality and the concept of events in spacetime.

4. Can I customize the appearance of a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot by using various options such as changing the line styles and colors, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the scale and range of the axes. You can also add additional objects or curves to represent different scenarios or theories.

5. How can I use a light-cone diagram in Gnuplot for my research or experiments?

A light-cone diagram can be a useful tool for visualizing and analyzing data in various fields of research, including astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum mechanics. It can help researchers understand the behavior of objects and events in spacetime and make predictions about their properties. It can also be used to test and validate theories and models in these fields.