A Library for a Foundation in Mathematics?

• Thread starter redwire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking recommendations for books to improve their mathematical foundations in order to pursue a career in academia. The suggested books are "Fearless Symmetry" and "Prime Obsession."
redwire
Hello PF.
I have recently become fascinated with the lives and works of several mathematicians and physicists as of late and was recently reading about Mary Somerville at http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/somer.htm. Here it is said that William Wallace advised Mary to buy some specific books to develop a "small library of works to provide her with a sound background in mathematics." I was wondering if any of you kind folks might happen to know what such books this might include, as I am seeking to start improving my mathematical foundations as, I admit, it's only recently that I've begun to seriously consider working in academia. Like many young people, I was perhaps socially conditioned to dislike math, though I've always been quite good at math in school.
However, after reading Lockhart's Lament, I find myself thirsty for this much romanticized world of intellectual creativity and expression.

Hopefully my first post has been colorful enough for you (laugh). I'd appreciate any recommendations for older more noteworthy works as well as more modern literature.
Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really say the level of your current knowledge so the following may be way off target. I also assume that you aren't really wanting to study the original texts that Somerville studied as they are mostly in French and at this point dated.

The two books that I'm suggesting are not traditional textbooks but rather introductions to serious mathematics for a non-mathematical reader:

1) Fearless Symmetry: Exposing the Hidden Patterns of Numbers

2) Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics

Related to A Library for a Foundation in Mathematics?

1. What is a "Foundation in Mathematics" exactly?

A Foundation in Mathematics is a collection of fundamental mathematical concepts and principles that serve as the basis for more advanced mathematical theories and applications. It includes topics such as number systems, algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics.

2. Why is a library necessary for a Foundation in Mathematics?

A library provides access to a wide range of resources, including books, journals, and online databases, that cover various topics within a Foundation in Mathematics. It allows researchers and students to explore and deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts and theories.

3. Are there different types of libraries for a Foundation in Mathematics?

Yes, there are different types of libraries that cater to specific needs. Some libraries may focus on specific subfields of mathematics, while others may have a broader collection. There are also physical libraries and digital libraries, each with its own advantages and resources.

4. How can a library for a Foundation in Mathematics benefit researchers?

A library can benefit researchers by providing access to a vast collection of resources, saving time and effort in searching for information. It also allows for collaboration and sharing of ideas with other researchers, and the support of knowledgeable librarians can aid in finding relevant and reliable sources.

5. Can students without a strong background in mathematics still benefit from a library for a Foundation in Mathematics?

Yes, a library can benefit students with varying levels of math proficiency. It provides access to resources that cover a wide range of difficulty levels, allowing students to learn at their own pace and deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts. Librarians can also offer guidance and support for students who may need additional help in their studies.