A-Level Sensor Coursework: Measuring Sensitivity with Basic Equipment

In summary, the speaker is currently working on a coursework for their A levels on sensors. They are looking for ideas that can be done with basic equipment and easy to learn theory. They mention considering the Wheatstone Bridge method for measuring resistance and are open to suggestions from experts.
SirAethelred
I am currently doing my A levels at school and my next peace of coursework is on sensors and mesuring their sensitivity. it has to be something that can be done with fairly basic equipment (so just resistors, wires, bulbs, capacitors) normal high school stuff and with a fairly easy theory to learn. I am not at Uni by the way so hold back on the calculus if you can.
any ideas would really help. the best one i have have come up with is the Wheatstone Bridge mesuring resistance.
any suggestions?

cheers for you help

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not go with the Wheatstone bridge then?

I am intending to but i just thought a website full of brilliant physicists might have a diffrent pespective on things but if you think it is a good idea I am happy to go ahead with it.

I think it's A-OK.

Related to A-Level Sensor Coursework: Measuring Sensitivity with Basic Equipment

1. What is the purpose of A-Level Sensor Coursework?

The purpose of A-Level Sensor Coursework is to develop practical skills in using sensors and basic equipment to measure sensitivity in a scientific experiment. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in collecting and analyzing data, and to understand the principles behind sensor technology.

2. What types of sensors are typically used in A-Level Sensor Coursework?

Commonly used sensors in A-Level Sensor Coursework include light sensors, temperature sensors, pH sensors, and force sensors. These sensors can measure various physical properties such as light intensity, temperature, acidity, and force, and are essential tools for scientific experiments.

3. What basic equipment is needed for A-Level Sensor Coursework?

The necessary basic equipment for A-Level Sensor Coursework includes a data logger, sensors, connecting cables, a power supply, and a computer for data analysis. Depending on the specific experiment, additional equipment such as beakers, test tubes, and measuring instruments may also be required.

4. How do you measure sensitivity with basic equipment in A-Level Sensor Coursework?

To measure sensitivity, a sensor is connected to a data logger which records the sensor's output as the independent variable. The dependent variable, such as light intensity or temperature, is then manipulated by changing the distance or angle between the sensor and the source. The resulting data is analyzed to determine the sensor's sensitivity to the variable being measured.

5. What skills can students develop through A-Level Sensor Coursework?

A-Level Sensor Coursework allows students to develop various skills, including data collection and analysis, experimental design, problem-solving, and critical thinking. It also promotes familiarity with scientific equipment and techniques, as well as an understanding of the principles of sensor technology and its applications in various fields of science.