A level Physics without maths - What are my options?

In summary, the individual applied for A level courses in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths (M). However, their application for Maths A level is at the discretion of the head of the department due to them having only completed foundation tier mathematics GCSE. They have caught up on the higher tier content over the summer and are unlikely to struggle in the maths course. The individual's future plans include pursuing a masters degree in physics or engineering, which require A level maths. If they are not allowed to take maths, their options may be limited. They achieved a C grade in foundation tier maths and were unable to study the higher tier due to availability. The individual is advised to continue pushing for the opportunity to take the higher tier maths course.
chestycougth
I applied for my A level courses today and applied for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths (M)
However, I did foundation tier mathematics GCSE and I've been told that my application to do Maths A level is at the discretion of the head of the department.
I have caught up on the higher tier mathematics content over the summer so I am unlikely to struggle on the maths course.

I would like to do a masters in either physics or aerospace/electrical/nuclear engineering in the future but these courses require A level maths.
So if the head of the department does not let me take maths then what will my future options look like?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your grade in foundation tier math was worse than C, probably your only option is bite the bullet and retake it (preferably at the higher tier). C grade GCSE math is the bare minimum for ANY university degree course, but AFAIK C is the maximum grade you can get from the foundation tier option.

AFAIK many sixth forms or further education colleges require a minimum of a C grade at GCSE to let you study the same subject at A level (and for good reasons - i.e. to stop people with unrealistic expectations wasting other people's time as well as their own).

I suppose the basic question is why you took the foundation tier. Did you get bad advice, or did your school think that was the best you could achieve?

Bear in mind that for a university physics or engineering degree you will have to do many math courses at university that are above "A level" standard. Getting anything less than an A or A* grade at GCSE level is probably not a good starting point!

I achieved a C, which as you say, is the most I can achieve on foundation tier. I was put in foundation tier in year 9 when my mathematical ability was much worse than it is nowadays.
The higher tiers were already full during years 10 and 11 so there was quite a few people who missed out on the opportunity to study the higher tier qualification.

Just keep on that them. Show them that you're up to scratch. Maybe even do a past paper to show them, then sit the higher tier maths paper when exam season comes around.

Don't stop pestering your school until they give in.

I understand the importance of mathematics in the study of physics. It is a fundamental tool that allows us to describe and understand the natural world. Therefore, I would highly recommend that you continue to pursue mathematics at the A level if possible, as it will greatly benefit your understanding and success in physics.

However, if the head of the department does not allow you to take mathematics, there are still options available for you to pursue a career in physics or engineering. Some universities may offer foundation courses in mathematics alongside their physics or engineering degrees, which could help bridge any gaps in your mathematical knowledge. Additionally, you could consider taking a mathematics course at a lower level, such as an AS level, to still demonstrate your ability in the subject.

Another option would be to focus on your strengths in the other sciences, such as chemistry and biology, and potentially pursue a degree in a related field such as biochemistry or environmental science. You could also consider taking additional mathematics courses outside of school, such as through online platforms or community colleges, to supplement your knowledge and demonstrate your commitment to mathematical proficiency.

Ultimately, while A level mathematics is highly recommended for pursuing a degree in physics or engineering, it is not the only factor that universities consider. Your passion, dedication, and aptitude in the sciences will also play a significant role in your future options. I encourage you to speak with your teachers and university advisors to explore all of your options and find the best path for your academic and career goals.

Related to A level Physics without maths - What are my options?

1. What is A level Physics without maths?

A level Physics without maths is a course that focuses on the fundamental principles of physics without the use of advanced mathematical concepts. This course is designed for students who do not have a strong background in maths, but still have an interest in learning about the principles of physics.

2. What are the main topics covered in A level Physics without maths?

The main topics covered in A level Physics without maths include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. These topics are covered in a conceptual and practical manner, without the use of complex mathematical equations.

3. What are the benefits of taking A level Physics without maths?

Taking A level Physics without maths can still provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics, without the added challenge of complex mathematics. It can also open up opportunities for further study in fields such as engineering, environmental science, and medicine.

4. Are there any limitations to taking A level Physics without maths?

There may be some limitations to taking A level Physics without maths, as certain career paths may require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. However, this course can still provide a basic understanding of physics principles that may be applicable in various fields.

5. What are my options after completing A level Physics without maths?

After completing A level Physics without maths, you can pursue further education in fields such as engineering, environmental science, or medicine. You can also enter the workforce in industries that require a basic understanding of physics principles, such as renewable energy or manufacturing.