A level Further Pure Maths help (Polynomials)

In summary, the three summations are of the roots of the polynomial equation x^4 - x^3 + 2x + 3 = 0. The first two summations are of the roots of the equation, while the third is of the partial derivatives of the roots. TheAttempt at a Solution found that Σ(a^2) and Σ(1/a) successfully correct but could not find Σ(a^2)(B^2) or (Σa)(ΣaB). ΣaB(a + B) = 6 is given as the answer but my own answer comes 4. Please somebody post the complete solution for ΣaB(a + B) explaining
usman94

Homework Statement

Find the values of Σ(a^2), Σ(1/a), Σ(a^2)(B^2) and ΣaB(a + B) for: x^4 - x^3 + 2x + 3 = 0

Homework Equations

Σa = 1, ΣaB = 0, ΣaBC = -2, aBCD = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Σ(a^2) and Σ(1/a) successfully correct bt could neither find Σ(a^2)(B^2) nor (Σa)(ΣaB):
'ΣaB(a + B) = 6' is given as the answer but my own answer comes 4. Please somebody post the complete solution for ΣaB(a + B) explaining each step, given that i found ΣaB(a + B) = (Σa)(ΣaB) - 2(ΣaBc).
It seems i should have got ΣaB(a + B) = (Σa)(ΣaB) - 3(ΣaBc) in order to get the correct answer '6' instead of the erroneous '4'.
If perhaps this is true, then prove that ΣaB(a + B) = (Σa)(ΣaB) - 3(ΣaBc)

I found Σ(a^2)(B^2) = (ΣaB)^2 - 2Σ(a.B^2.C) - 4aBCD. Now 4m here i can't proceed forward to find Σ(a.B^2.C). Perhaps, i hav done it wrong or there exists an alternative easier way.
NB: a,B,C,D represent the roots alpha, beta, gamma and the 4th root (partial derivative sign) respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
usman94 said:

Homework Statement

Find the values of Σ(a^2), Σ(1/a), Σ(a^2)(B^2) and ΣaB(a + B) for: x^4 - x^3 + 2x + 3 = 0
I don't understand the question. What do the summations have to do with the polynomial equation? That is, how are a and B connected with x^4 - x^3 + 2x + 3 = 0?
usman94 said:

Homework Equations

Σa = 1, ΣaB = 0, ΣaBC = -2, aBCD = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Σ(a^2) and Σ(1/a) successfully correct bt could neither find Σ(a^2)(B^2) nor (Σa)(ΣaB):
'ΣaB(a + B) = 6' is given as the answer but my own answer comes 4. Please somebody post the complete solution for ΣaB(a + B) explaining each step, given that i found ΣaB(a + B) = (Σa)(ΣaB) - 2(ΣaBc).
It seems i should have got ΣaB(a + B) = (Σa)(ΣaB) - 3(ΣaBc) in order to get the correct answer '6' instead of the erroneous '4'.
If perhaps this is true, then prove that ΣaB(a + B) = (Σa)(ΣaB) - 3(ΣaBc)

I found Σ(a^2)(B^2) = (ΣaB)^2 - 2Σ(a.B^2.C) - 4aBCD. Now 4m here i can't proceed forward to find Σ(a.B^2.C). Perhaps, i hav done it wrong or there exists an alternative easier way.
NB: a,B,C,D represent the roots alpha, beta, gamma and the 4th root (partial derivative sign) respectively.

ohhh m terribly sorry missing to mention dat. a, B, C and D are the 4 roots of the equation: x^4 - x^3 + 2x + 3 = 0

OK, then what do Σ(a^2) and the other summations mean in the context of this problem?

I'm still clueless as to what this problem is asking for.

these summations are of the roots e.g. Σa means a + B + C + D. Likewise ΣaB represents aB + BC + CD + DA

The first look opens p. 294 of this book. In a quick search I didn't find exercise 9d Q2(d). The attachment in your other thread for this problem doesn't give me enough context to know what the summations are adding.

Are you working on functions of the roots of a polynomial (theory of equations?)

It may be helpful to write the thing out in full and then you will see there are three not two products giving you [tex]\alpha\beta\gamma[/tex]

I think you are agreeing with me (?) that [tex]\Sigma\alpha\beta(\alpha + \beta)[/tex] is just [tex]2\Sigma\alpha^2\beta[/tex]

You can get that out of [tex]\Sigma\alpha\beta\Sigma\alpha[/tex].

[tex]\Sigma\alpha\beta\Sigma\alpha[/tex]

= 0 because

[tex]\Sigma\alpha\beta = 0 [/tex].

On the other hand [tex]\Sigma\alpha\beta\Sigma\alpha[/tex] also equals in full

[tex](\alpha\beta + \alpha\gamma + \alpha\delta + \beta\gamma + \beta\delta + \gamma\delta)(\alpha + \beta + \gamma + \delta)[/tex]

and there are two products [tex]\alpha^2\beta[/tex] and three products [tex]\alpha\beta\gamma[/tex]

So you've got essentially your answer

[tex]0 = 2\alpha^2\beta - 3\alpha\beta\gamma[/tex]

At first you find them. Later you think you need to look in the first bracket only at the ones without [tex]\delta[/tex]. There are three of them. And they each have their partner in the second bracket to make [tex]\alpha\beta\gamma[/tex]. Later you realize you don't need to look at each of the three because of the symmetry. And you realize there not just are but must be three - and that the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] notation is quite nifty - however you can always fall back on the full formulae if out of practice or something not working.

(I tried to bring them out by colouring the three pairs but it is already rubbish enough to try and write ordinary tex because of defects I mentioned earlier, nearly impossible to edit , however when you write on paper you can use colour underlining if it helps.)

Last edited:
Edit: That last line should be of course

0 = 2Σα2β - 3Σαβγ

Last edited:

Related to A level Further Pure Maths help (Polynomials)

What are polynomials?

Polynomials are algebraic expressions that involve variables, coefficients, and exponents. They are made up of terms that are either constants (numbers) or variables raised to a power. For example, 3x^2 + 5x - 2 is a polynomial with three terms.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x - 2 has a degree of 2 because the variable x is raised to the power of 2 in the first term.

How do you add and subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must combine like terms. Like terms have the same variable raised to the same power. For example, to add 3x^2 + 5x - 2 and 2x^2 - 3x + 1, you would combine the like terms 3x^2 and 2x^2 to get 5x^2, then combine the like terms 5x and -3x to get 2x, and finally combine the constant terms -2 and 1 to get -1. The sum would be 5x^2 + 2x - 1.

How do you multiply polynomials?

To multiply polynomials, you can use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). This involves multiplying the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. For example, to multiply (3x + 2)(2x - 5), you would get 6x^2 - 15x + 4x - 10, which simplifies to 6x^2 - 11x - 10.

How do you divide polynomials?

To divide polynomials, you can use long division or synthetic division. Long division is similar to dividing numbers, but with variables and powers involved. Synthetic division is a faster method that can only be used when dividing by a linear expression (a polynomial with a degree of 1). It involves setting up a table and performing a series of calculations. Both methods result in a quotient and a remainder.