Can a NASA Senior Physicist Agree with a Junior Physicist's Calculation?

• Thread starter walker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the speed of an artificial satellite at a certain altitude above Earth's surface. A senior NASA physicist disagrees with the calculation made by a junior physicist and explains that the satellite should be moving at a lower speed. They also provide a resource for more information on circular motion.
walker
So I came across a question in a quiz book the other day and I still haven't been able to answer it, so I figured I would ask some experts... Here goes...

As a NASA senior physicist, would you agree with the calculation made by a junior physicist regarding the speed of an artificial satellite, v = 3 x 10^4 m/s, assuming that it is traveling at an altitude h = 230 km above the Earth's surface where g = 9.0 m/s^2. The radius of the Earth is 6370 km.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would disagree.

For all circular motion, a = v2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

Plug the numbers in, and you'll see there's a contradiction.

The satellite should be moving at roughly 7,000 m/s, not 30,000 m/s.

For more info on circular motion: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/circ.html#circ

- Warren

Yep,

If the sat is going at that speed and altitude, it won't be at that altitude for long.

1. Can a NASA Senior Physicist override a Junior Physicist's calculation?

No, a senior physicist cannot simply override a junior physicist's calculation without proper justification or discussion. Scientific research is a collaborative effort and all calculations should be thoroughly reviewed and discussed before reaching a conclusion.

2. Are senior physicists always right in their calculations?

No, senior physicists are not always right in their calculations. While they have more experience and knowledge, they are still human and can make mistakes. It is important for all members of a scientific team to double-check and verify each other's work.

3. Can a junior physicist challenge a senior physicist's calculation?

Yes, a junior physicist has the right to challenge a senior physicist's calculation if they have valid reasons and evidence to do so. Scientific debates and discussions are a crucial part of the research process and can lead to new insights and discoveries.

4. Is there a hierarchy in the validity of calculations between senior and junior physicists?

No, there is no hierarchy in the validity of calculations between senior and junior physicists. Both are equally capable of making accurate calculations and their work should be evaluated based on evidence and scientific principles, not their seniority.

5. How do senior and junior physicists come to an agreement on a calculation?

Senior and junior physicists can come to an agreement on a calculation through open communication, thorough discussions, and presenting evidence to support their calculations. Collaboration and teamwork are essential in the scientific community to reach a consensus on calculations and findings.