A hypothetical question about seeing an atom with the naked eye

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of creating an atom with an extremely high number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus, and the potential limitations and constraints of such a feat. The idea is eventually deemed impossible due to relativistic effects and the extreme energy requirements involved. The conversation also briefly touches on the organization of atoms in a supermassive supernova and the possibility of observing individual atoms under an electron microscope.
gangsterlover
This is only hypothetical, but bare with me.

I did some searching on the interweb and found out that a drop of water has about:
1.67 × 10^21 molecules
(Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_water_molecules_are_in_one_drop_of_water)

Also, the amount of protons and neutrons that can be inside a nucleus is theoritcally unlimited. And the amount of electrons that can orbit the nucleus is also unlimited.

If both of these are correct, wouldn't that then mean, that if someone was to create an atom that had billions of protons and neutrons in it`s nucleus, that we then would be able to see an atom with our naked eyes.

I mean it kinda makes sense to me, what do you think?
Is it hypothetically and theoretically possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see something that is gone in a zillionth of a blink of the eye?

but there could be ways to prevent this, or in some way construct the atom so it would not interact with other atoms. Right?

we could use cameras that take photos million times a second. I mean besisdes the problems of it dissapearing, it this hypothetically possible

Why cannot there exist, for example, a lowest resolution time for a photographic apparatus as well, with effects lasting less than that time being non-discernible?

Please think about the idea, and not about the realistic approach to it. Please speak noob friendly. Thank you.
Let`s drop the possibility of seeing it, but is it possible to create an atom this big?

Not with today's technology.
Someone else on the forum might possibly be able to come up with a rough idea of how much energy it would take to make that atom (IF there are no other theoretical constraints on forming it, which I don't know about).

If it would take, for example, about the total amount of energy present in our solar system to make that mega-atom, will you still regard it as "possible" to construct?

gangsterlover said:
Also, the amount of protons and neutrons that can be inside a nucleus is theoritcally unlimited. And the amount of electrons that can orbit the nucleus is also unlimited.

If both of these are correct, wouldn't that then mean, that if someone was to create an atom that had billions of protons and neutrons in it`s nucleus, that we then would be able to see an atom with our naked eyes.

I mean it kinda makes sense to me, what do you think?
Is it hypothetically and theoretically possible?
No.

You started with a false assumption, that atomic number is theoretically unlimited. Relativistic effects start coming into play in large nuclei, and those relativistic effects place an upper limit on atomic number.

D H said:
No.

You started with a false assumption, that atomic number is theoretically unlimited. Relativistic effects start coming into play in large nuclei, and those relativistic effects place an upper limit on atomic number.
Nice to be informed of PRECISELY such a theoretical constraint I didn't know about (but kept open as a possibility)! :smile:
Are there also theoretical constraints from a "mere" quantum mechanical perspective, but that it is the "relativistic" constraint that will kick in first (or is it, perhaps, the huge energy requirement that will be the effective barrier to such constructions)?

I found this thread: http://www.livescience.com/21214-atomic-nuclei-variations-estimate.html
Which pretty much blows the idea of creating an atom with that many million neutrons and protons inside the nucleus. So unfortunately this sucks...

However, if you guys/gals don't mind do you know:

1. Does the nucleus have a membrane?
2. When a supermassive supernova occurs, and when everything shrinks into the size of a corn of sand. If someone would to put that under a electron microscope(think hypothetical now please) how are the atoms organized inside then?
Any ideas? Could we see the individual atoms with a light microscope then or, what? :?

gangsterlover said:
bump

Bumping after less than 24 hours is against the forum rules.

Related to A hypothetical question about seeing an atom with the naked eye

1. How can we see an atom with the naked eye?

Seeing an atom with the naked eye is not currently possible. Atoms are incredibly small, measuring about 0.1 nanometers in diameter, which is much smaller than the wavelength of visible light. This means that even the most powerful microscopes cannot magnify atoms enough for them to be visible to the human eye.

2. Is it possible to develop technology to see atoms with the naked eye in the future?

It is currently not possible to predict the future of technology, but it is highly unlikely that we will be able to see atoms with the naked eye. The laws of physics and the limitations of the human eye make it unlikely that we will ever be able to directly see individual atoms without the aid of advanced technology.

3. Can we see atoms in other ways besides using visible light?

Yes, scientists have developed techniques such as scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy that allow us to indirectly visualize atoms. These techniques use beams of electrons or atomic-scale probes to scan and create images of atoms on a screen.

4. What would happen if we could see atoms with the naked eye?

If we could see atoms with the naked eye, our perception of the world would drastically change. We would be able to see the individual building blocks of matter and understand the true scale of the universe in a whole new way. However, it is also possible that our brains would not be able to process this information and it would be overwhelming or even impossible for us to function in our daily lives.

5. Are there any experiments or demonstrations that allow us to "see" atoms?

Yes, there are experiments and demonstrations that can simulate the behavior of atoms on a macroscopic scale. One example is the Brownian motion experiment, where particles suspended in a liquid can be seen moving randomly, which is caused by the constant collisions of these particles with individual atoms. Another example is the use of a laser to create diffraction patterns, which can give us information about the arrangement of atoms in a material.