A homework question that i with

• Thread starter crazy_life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the ball clears the net if the horizontal distance to the net is greater than 7m and the ball's vertical velocity is greater than -28.57m/s.
crazy_life

Homework Statement

hi, i was trying to figure out how to tackle this physics question, but I am a little stuck. the question is:

a tennis player, playing for a match hits a ball 2m above the groung. the ball leaves his racquet with a speed of 20m/s at an angle of 5 above the horizontal. the horizontal distance to the net is 7m and the net heigh is 1m does the ball clear the net?

i've diagram to help me and I am just stuck about where to start. thanks for helping me.

Homework Equations

i used v^2=u^2+2as and Vox=Vo*cos(angle) <- but i think I am wrong :S

The Attempt at a Solution

i got a=-28.57m/s. but and i got that it didn't claer the net. I am not sure wot i was doing really. :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't "double-post" questions.

sori i didn't mean too

You say you have found a value for "a" but "a" is not a speed it is acceleration. At least if you are using "a" as it is found in your equation.

[tex] v^2 = u^2 + 2as [/tex]

Hint... the only acceleration in these sorts of problems is downward, ie. a = 9.81m/s^2. Friction from the air is generally ignored, unless it is specified as part of the problem.

Questions like these need to be solved in components. That is... what the ball does in its vertical motion and then.. horizontal motion. The two are quite indepenent.

Last edited:
ok thank you for help

Calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity using trig.

In the x direction, where there is no acceleration, calculate how long it will take the ball to travel 7 m horizontally.

Then you can solve for how high the ball will be at this time, by using the equation

d = vit + 1/2at^2 in the y direction

Based upon the value of d, u can determine whether the ball cleared the net or not.

Related to A homework question that i with

What is the best way to approach a difficult homework question?

The best way to approach a difficult homework question is to break it down into smaller parts and tackle each part separately. You can also try to relate the question to real-life examples or seek help from classmates or your instructor.

How can I effectively manage my time when working on a homework question?

Effective time management when working on a homework question involves setting a schedule and sticking to it. Prioritize your tasks and avoid distractions to make the most of your study time.

What resources can I use to find the answer to a homework question?

There are several resources you can use to find the answer to a homework question. These include textbooks, lecture notes, online research, reference books, and discussions with classmates or your instructor.

How can I check if my answer to a homework question is correct?

You can check the correctness of your answer to a homework question by comparing it with the solutions provided by your instructor or peers. You can also use online tools or ask for feedback from your instructor.

What should I do if I am stuck on a homework question?

If you are stuck on a homework question, take a break and come back to it with a fresh mind. You can also seek help from classmates, your instructor, or online resources. Remember to never copy someone else's solution and always try to understand the concept behind the question.