A gyromagentic ratio for a cylinder

In summary, the magnetic moment of a system in classical physics can be written as \mu = g\frac{Q}{2M}L, where ##Q## is the total charge, ##M## is the total mass of the system and ##L## the angular momentum. For a cylinder with even surface charge distribution, the value of ##g## is 2. For a sphere with charge concentrated on its equator, the value of ##g## is 5/2. This can be shown by substituting the moment of inertia for angular momentum in the equation and simplifying.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

In classical physics, a system's magnetic moment can be written like so: [tex]\mu = g\frac{Q}{2M}L,[/tex] where ##Q## is the total charge, ##M## is the total mass of the system and ##L## the angular momentum.

a) Show, that for a cylinder (##I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2##) spinning around its axis of symmetry, and that has an even charge distribution on its surface, the value of ##g = 2##. (Think! Don't integrate.)
correct answer: 2

b) Calculate ##g## for a sphere of radius ##R## whose charge is concentrated on it's equator.
(Again, think. Do not integrate.)

correct answer: ##\frac{5}{2}##

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia for a cylinder:
\begin{equation}
I_c = \frac{1}{2} MR^2
\end{equation}
Moment of inertia for a sphere:
\begin{equation}
I_s = \frac{2}{5} MR^2
\end{equation}
The magnectic moment:
\begin{equation}
\mu = g\frac{Q}{2M}L
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Alright, let's start out by solving for ##g## in ##(3)##:
\begin{equation}
g = \frac{2M\mu}{QL}
\end{equation}

For a cylinder this becomes:
\begin{equation}
g = \frac{2M\mu}{Q \frac{1}{2}MR^2} = \frac{4\mu}{QR^2}
= 2 \frac{2\mu}{QR^2},
\end{equation}
and for the sphere:
\begin{equation}
g = \frac{2M\mu}{Q \frac{2}{5}MR^2} = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2\mu}{QR^2}
\end{equation}

Now for a cylinder the surface charge can be written:
\begin{equation}
Q = \sigma A = \sigma (2\pi R h + 2\pi R^2),
\end{equation}
where ##\sigma## is the charge density, ##A## the surface area, ##R## the cylinder radius and ##h## its height.

For a sphere, whose charge is on its equator this is:
\begin{equation}
Q = \sigma C = \sigma (2\pi R).
\end{equation}

Plugging ##(7)## into ##(5)##:
\begin{equation}
g = \frac{2M\mu}{Q \frac{1}{2}MR^2} = 2\frac{2\mu}{ \sigma (2\pi R h + 2\pi R^2) R^2}
\end{equation}
Again, for the sphere ##(6)## this is:
\begin{equation}
g = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2\mu}{ \sigma (2 \pi R) R^2}
\end{equation}

This is where I'm stuck. It looks like, looking at the correct answers, that once we solve for ##g##, we should end up with the inverses of the coefficients in ##(1)## and ##(2)##, meaning
\begin{equation}
\frac{2\mu}{QR^2} = 1
\end{equation}
in both cases.

For a single particle rotating in a circle, ##\mu = \frac{q}{2m}L = \frac{q}{2m} mR^2 \omega = \frac{q \omega}{2} R^2 = \frac{qmRv}{2}##, but surely I can't use that to cancel out any ##R##s, since in ##(3)##, ##\mu## is the magnetic moment of the entire system. Also, ##\sigma## isn't going anywhere even if I do manage to cancel out the areas/circumferences.

In short, what am I missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In going from eqn 4 to eqn 5, you substituted the moment of inertia for L, but L is angular momentum. What equation relates the two?

Likes TheSodesa
haruspex said:
In going from eqn 4 to eqn 5, you substituted the moment of inertia for L, but L is angular momentum. What equation relates the two?

Whoopsie. ##L = I\omega##.

Then ##(5)## becomes:
\begin{equation}
g = \frac{2 M \mu}{Q \frac{1}{2}MR^2 \omega} = 2 \frac{2 \mu}{Q R^2 \omega} = 2 \frac{2 \mu}{Q R^2 \frac{v}{R}} = 2 \frac{2 \mu}{Q R v}
\end{equation}
Now if we are allowed to use ##\mu = \frac{1}{2} qmrv## (the ##R## below ##(11)## should not have been a capital one, for general purposes), then things do cancel out quite nicely at a distance ##R## from the axis of symmetry, except ##q \neq Q##, is it? I mean [tex] \mu = \frac{1}{2} qmrv [/tex] for single particles only, isn't it?

In any case, if we do plug it into the above expression: [tex]g = 2 \frac{2qmRv}{2QRv} = 2\frac{qm}{Q}.[/tex] Not quite what I was looking for, but close.

TheSodesa said:
##\mu = \frac{1}{2} qmrv## for single particles only, isn't it?
You can consider the charge as made of of single particles all with the same velocity and radius.
But what is m there? Isn't it just ##\mu = \frac{1}{2} qrv##?

Likes TheSodesa
haruspex said:
You can consider the charge as made of of single particles all with the same velocity and radius.
But what is m there? Isn't it just ##\mu = \frac{1}{2} qrv##?

Yeah, forgot to cancel out the ##m## from the numerator (or more like put it back in for some reason).

Ok, so now we have [tex]g = 2 \frac{2 \mu}{QRv} = 2 \frac{2 \sum_{i} \frac{q_i R v}{2} }{QRv} = 2 \frac{2 QRv}{2QRv} = 2[/tex]

And there we have it (I think).

Applying the same procedure to case b) (which we can do since all of the charge is on the equator):
[tex]g = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2 \mu}{QRv} = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2 \sum_{i} \frac{q_i R v}{2} }{QRv} = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2 QRv}{wQRv} = \frac{5}{2}.[/tex]

Boom shaka laka?

TheSodesa said:
Yeah, forgot to cancel out the ##m## from the numerator (or more like put it back in for some reason).

Ok, so now we have [tex]g = 2 \frac{2 \mu}{QRv} = 2 \frac{2 \sum_{i} \frac{q_i R v}{2} }{QRv} = 2 \frac{2 QRv}{2QRv} = 2[/tex]

And there we have it (I think).

Applying the same procedure to case b) (which we can do since all of the charge is on the equator):
[tex]g = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2 \mu}{QRv} = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2 \sum_{i} \frac{q_i R v}{2} }{QRv} = \frac{5}{2} \frac{2 QRv}{wQRv} = \frac{5}{2}.[/tex]

Boom shaka laka?
looks right.

haruspex said:
looks right.

Boom shaka laka it is, then. :cool:

Thank you very much.

Related to A gyromagentic ratio for a cylinder

1. What is the gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder?

The gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder is a physical constant that relates the spin angular momentum of a particle to its magnetic moment. It is denoted by the symbol γ and has units of radians per second per tesla (rad/s·T).

2. How is the gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder related to its shape?

The gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder is dependent on the shape of the cylinder. It is directly proportional to the radius of the cylinder and inversely proportional to its length. This means that a longer, thinner cylinder will have a smaller gyromagnetic ratio compared to a shorter, thicker cylinder.

3. What is the significance of the gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder?

The gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder is an important parameter in many physical phenomena, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It also plays a crucial role in determining the precession frequency of a spinning particle in a magnetic field.

4. Can the gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder be altered?

No, the gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder is a fundamental physical constant that cannot be changed or altered. It is determined by the intrinsic properties of the particle, such as its mass and charge, and is independent of external factors.

5. How is the gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder experimentally determined?

The gyromagnetic ratio for a cylinder can be determined experimentally through various methods, such as NMR spectroscopy or electron spin resonance (ESR). These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to a sample and measuring the precession frequency of the particles, from which the gyromagnetic ratio can be calculated.