A good place to purchase timber boards? (UK)

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for places to purchase timber boards for a DT project in school. The person mentions B&Q as a potential option but wants to keep their choices open. They specifically mention wanting to purchase Beech boards and ask if anyone knows of a suitable resource. Two other options, Arnold Laver and Screwfix, are suggested, with Screwfix having a potential option for beech boards under flooring. Wickes is also mentioned as a potential option.
Bladibla
Hi
I'm currently trying to order some materials for my DT project in school for manufacturing a music stand.

I'm looking for a good place where I could purchase some timber boards. B&Q would be the first plac to look for it, however, i'd like to keep my choices broad. I am particularly interested in purchasing Beech boards, so i was wondering if anyone has a suitable esource from which i can purchase some boards?

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

There are definitely a few options for purchasing timber boards in the UK. B&Q is a great place to start, as they have a wide variety of wood materials available. However, if you're looking for a broader selection, I would recommend checking out some specialty timber merchants such as Woodworkers UK or British Hardwoods. They both offer a range of wood species, including Beech, and can provide custom cuts to fit your project needs. Another option could be to search for local sawmills in your area, as they may have a selection of timber boards available for purchase. I hope this helps and good luck with your DT project!

Related to A good place to purchase timber boards? (UK)

1. Where is the best place to buy timber boards in the UK?

The best place to buy timber boards in the UK will vary depending on your specific needs. However, some popular options include large home improvement stores such as B&Q or Homebase, local timber merchants, and online retailers like Wickes or Jewson.

2. How can I ensure the quality of the timber boards I purchase?

To ensure the quality of your timber boards, it is important to do your research and buy from a reputable seller. Look for boards that are certified by a recognized organization, such as the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC). You can also ask for a sample or inspect the boards in person before making a purchase.

3. What types of timber boards are available for purchase?

There are many different types of timber boards available for purchase in the UK, including softwoods like pine and spruce, hardwoods like oak and beech, and composite materials such as MDF and plywood. Each type of timber has its own unique properties and uses, so it is important to research and choose the best option for your project.

4. What is the average cost of timber boards in the UK?

The cost of timber boards in the UK can vary greatly depending on the type of wood, size, and quality. On average, softwood boards can range from £2-£10 per square foot, while hardwood boards can range from £5-£20 per square foot. Composite materials may be more expensive, with prices ranging from £10-£30 per square foot.

5. Can I purchase custom-sized timber boards?

Yes, many timber merchants and online retailers offer the option to purchase custom-sized timber boards. This can be a great way to get exactly what you need for your project, but keep in mind that it may come at a higher cost and may take longer to receive compared to standard-sized boards.