Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A good color scheme for kile

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I have recently started using Kile on Ubuntu and I experimented witht the color settings of kile for quite a long time to get a good sceme but I still am not satisfied. Can someone here suggest me a good color scheme?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I tend to go for black background, aqua regular text, and then maybe bright green for math operators, red for numbers, gray for comments. I don't know what other categories you have.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Is there a reason you are using Kile as opposed to Emacs or Vim? Do you prefer GUIs or would you rather work from the terminal?

I like working from the terminal. I have it setup as a drop down by hitting F12, with a slightly see through black background.

The drop down feature use with the terminal is the best thing ever over any GUI.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Is there a reason you are using Kile as opposed to Emacs or Vim? Do you prefer GUIs or would you rather work from the terminal?

I like working from the terminal. I have it setup as a drop down by hitting F12, with a slightly see through black background.

The drop down feature use with the terminal is the best thing ever over any GUI.

Actually I am new to linux and Kile seemed like a massive improvement over TeXWorks which I was using on Windows. So I was using Kile.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Actually I am new to linux and Kile seemed like a massive improvement over TeXWorks which I was using on Windows. So I was using Kile.
I used Kile for a day so I cant remember much about it. All I know was after switching to Vim first, I didn't want to use a GUI anymore, but then I tried Emacs and I was satisfied.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I have actually learned to prefer TeXWorks, even on Linux. The reason is that, since I'm a teacher, I am tending to write a lot of very small $\LaTeX$ files. And the ability of TeXWorks automatically to window both the source file and the pdf, so that I'm seeing them both simultaneously, is a real time-saver. It also will close the pdf automatically whenever I close the tex file. Sure, I'd love to have the key-bindings of terminal Vim, which is what I prefer for most text editing. But TeXWorks saves me so much time! If I worked hard enough, I might be able to get Vim to do the windowing, but it would take a lot of effort.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
I have actually learned to prefer TeXWorks, even on Linux. The reason is that, since I'm a teacher, I am tending to write a lot of very small $\LaTeX$ files. And the ability of TeXWorks automatically to window both the source file and the pdf, so that I'm seeing them both simultaneously, is a real time-saver. It also will close the pdf automatically whenever I close the tex file. Sure, I'd love to have the key-bindings of terminal Vim, which is what I prefer for most text editing. But TeXWorks saves me so much time! If I worked hard enough, I might be able to get Vim to do the windowing, but it would take a lot of effort.
Yeah TeXWorks nice for small documents. But it lacks many features which makes it hard to create large documents in it. I used it for about a year. Still use it from time to time.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
This is why I like the see through drop down window. I can see my pdf and update with a simple
Code:
C-c C-c return

It doesn't update on its own but that isn't a big deal since control c twice and enter takes maybe a second to do.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
dwsmith, what do you mean by the drop down feature?

Concerning a color scheme, I usually accept the default if an application follows modern conventions (like the while background), which Kile presumably does. The screenshot in Wikipedia doesn't look too bad. Beyond this, there is a program Agave that allows finding "several colors that go well together".

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
dwsmith, what do you mean by the drop down feature?

Concerning a color scheme, I usually accept the default if an application follows modern conventions (like the while background), which Kile presumably does. The screenshot in Wikipedia doesn't look too bad. Beyond this, there is a program Agave that allows finding "several colors that go well together".
Look at post 3. You will see that my window comes half way down. I have it set up to drop down from the top. This is a non color scheme option I was speaking of which is a handy feature. All I have to do is hit F12 to autohide it or drop it down and F11 makes it full screen if that is what I desire.