A good book of tables and formulae

In summary, the conversation discusses the recommendation of math tables and formulae books for a theoretical physics major. The books suggested include "Abromawicz and Stegun," "Rydsik and Gradstein," and "Gradshteyn & Ryzhik." The conversation also mentions the availability of these books online and suggests using a symbolic math program for easier integration.
phsopher
I wasn't really certain where to post this so move it if it's in the wrong place.

I'm about to order some books from Amazon and I thought I'd get a book of math tables and formulae while I'm at it. I'm tired of doing simple gaussians by hand over and over again. So I'm wondering if you guys can recommend a good one. I'm a theoretical physics major if that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
CRC math hand book

Abromawicz and Stegun: math tables

Rydsik and Gradstein

Sorry if i butchered the name spellings.

Gradshteyn & Ryzhik. Essential for obscure integrals.

Also, the Schaum's Outline is good for more common stuff and much lighter in the backpack.

If you are happy having stuff on your computer, Abromowitz and Stegun (mostly good for special functions) is available online:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~cbm/aands//"
I have nearly worn out my hard copy over the years, you the electronic copy is great for me.

In my experience, nothing is easier for integrals than symbolic math programs. Maxima is available for free for windows and linux/unix.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/files/"

Good luck,

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

I can definitely understand the need for a good book of tables and formulae. Having quick and easy access to mathematical tools can save a lot of time and effort in research and problem-solving. In terms of recommendations, it really depends on your specific needs and the level of complexity you require. For theoretical physics, I would suggest looking into books specifically geared towards that field, such as "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber or "Mathematical Tools for Physics" by James Nearing. These books not only provide tables and formulae, but also explanations and applications in physics. It's always helpful to have a book that is tailored to your specific field of study. I hope this helps in your search for a good book of tables and formulae.

Related to A good book of tables and formulae

1. What is a good book of tables and formulae?

A good book of tables and formulae is a reference book that contains a comprehensive list of mathematical tables and formulas. It is commonly used by scientists, engineers, and students to quickly find information and solve mathematical problems.

2. How can a good book of tables and formulae be used?

A good book of tables and formulae can be used as a quick reference guide for solving mathematical problems, performing calculations, and verifying results. It can also be used as a study aid for students to understand and memorize important formulas.

3. What types of information can be found in a good book of tables and formulae?

A good book of tables and formulae typically includes tables of numbers, equations, and graphs for various mathematical functions such as trigonometry, logarithms, and calculus. It may also include tables for physical constants and other useful information for scientific calculations.

4. How can I choose a good book of tables and formulae?

When choosing a good book of tables and formulae, make sure it covers the specific subject or area of mathematics you need. Look for books that are well-organized, easy to read, and have clear explanations and examples. You may also want to consider the reputation and credentials of the author or publisher.

5. Are there any online resources for tables and formulae?

Yes, there are many online resources for tables and formulae. Some popular options include Wolfram MathWorld, Math Tables, and Symbolab. However, it is always recommended to have a physical copy of a good book of tables and formulae as a reliable and convenient reference.