I have studied electromagnetism in my Physics AP class

In summary, charged particles create electromagnetic fields when they move, which can be represented as spheres surrounding the particle, although the actual field has infinite range. The reason why this occurs is simply a property of the universe that humans have given a name to.
chiefrocka
Hi, I'm new here so I'm not sure how formal this should be:
I have studied electromagnetism in my Physics AP class at my high school but I have had a question at the back of my head. I don't have a very good physics teacher, and he was unable to explain this to me. My question is why, when charged particles move, do they create electromagnetic fields in concentric circles? My inquiry concerns more why an electromagnetic field is created at all rather than why it is in the form of circles. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows why an electromagnetic field is produced, that's just the way the universe works. That's like asking why squares have four sides... that's just a property of the universe that humans gave a name to.

why when charged particles move, do they create electromagnetic fields in concentric circles?
When a charged particle generates a field, the field is the same strength in all directions, so the field can be represented as a sphere surrounding the particle. However, a sphere is a somewhat flawed visual image because the field generated actually has infinite range, so the sphere is more representative of the significant or effective range of the field.

Hello, welcome to the community! It's great to hear that you have studied electromagnetism in your Physics AP class. As for your question about why charged particles create electromagnetic fields in concentric circles, the answer lies in the fundamental principles of electromagnetism. When charged particles move, they create a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields around them. This disturbance, known as an electromagnetic wave, propagates outward in all directions, forming concentric circles. This is due to the fact that the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation. As for why an electromagnetic field is created at all, it is a fundamental property of charged particles. According to Maxwell's equations, any moving charged particle will create an electromagnetic field. I hope this helps clarify your inquiry. Keep exploring and asking questions, and best of luck in your studies!

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with each other and with charged particles.

2. Why is it important to study electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature and plays a crucial role in many technological applications such as electricity, magnetism, and electronics. It also helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in various natural phenomena, like lightning and auroras.

3. What topics are covered in a Physics AP class on electromagnetism?

In a Physics AP class on electromagnetism, you will typically learn about electric charge, electric fields, electric potential, capacitance, electric current, resistance, magnetism, electromagnetic induction, and electromagnetic waves.

4. How is electromagnetism related to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also a key component of the theory of relativity, as it helps explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in moving frames of reference.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has numerous real-world applications, including power generation and distribution, motors and generators, telecommunication, medical imaging, and many more. It is also used in everyday devices like cell phones, computers, and kitchen appliances.