A free .pdf reader software that lets you comment, mark words etc.

• Thread starter Ryker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, I'm looking for a pdf viewer that lets you comment on the file you're viewing, mark words or lines (such as if you were to have a proper marker and a sheet of paper) and all kinds of stuff like that which are useful, but not really supported with the (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.The viewer on the left is free, I thought that's what I downloaded, as I haven't paid a dime. But I can add highlights, text, drawing, etc. You just can't edit the ORIGINAL text of the pdf. The viewer on the left is free, I thought that's what I downloaded, as I haven't paid a dime.
Ryker
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a .pdf viewer that let's you comment on the file you're viewing, mark words or lines (such as if you were to have a proper marker and a sheet of paper) and all kinds of stuff like that which are useful, but not really supported with the (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I assume you're running Windows?

It depends what you want. If you only need it to do a few tasks you can get a free trial of Adobe Acrobat which will do it for you, or (my favourite) a free trial of Nitro PDF.

If you are looking for long term, Nitro PDF is just as good as Adobe software but it is a fraction of the price.

I know you asked for free, but I'm not aware of anything for windows that is very good without paying for it.

Yeah, I'm running Windows, and I'd use the program long term. Is http://www.nitroreader.com/" the Nitro PDF Reader you're referring to? Because it seems to be free, or am I just missing a disclaimer that only the trial is free?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually a new product I didn't know about.

It's completely free, and it does everything you need. I'd recommend that for you.

But it isn't free.

Looking at that Nitro link above with their new software, it's pretty unique. I've never seen a piece of software like that for free.

Yeah, I'm actually just trying it out now. It's much heavier on the resources than the free Adobe Reader, but it does let you mark stuff and comment on it. The comments are done nicely, but the marking does leave something to be desired, as it makes these weird bubbles, not actual thick lines as you would with a marker. Also, it's harder to navigate, since clicking or even double-clicking on the bookmark link doesn't do anything, let alone get you to the desired page. Still, I guess I'll keep it on my computer for now and use it with those few files I'd need marking and commenting features for (lecture notes mostly). I wouldn't recommend making this the default .pdf viewer, though.

You should be able to change the marker type. You can do it in the paid one but I haven't used the free one.

Actually, you can only change the color, but not the type. And it does work better when you're highlighting text rather than equations. For equations I was kind of hoping you'd be able to put, say, colored rectangles around them, but the fact that only the default type gets used for text isn't as bad, because, well, colored rectangles or oval shapes are the default :smile:

jarednjames said:
But it isn't free.

Looking at that Nitro link above with their new software, it's pretty unique. I've never seen a piece of software like that for free.

The viewer on the left is free, I thought that's what I downloaded, as I haven't paid a dime. But I can add highlights, text, drawing, etc. You just can't edit the ORIGINAL text of the pdf.

Get just the free viewer, it has all of what you want.

How heavy is Foxit on resources?

Are resources really that critical?

Ryker said:

I opened a 9MB PDF and my current memory usage is 17MB with 0% CPU usage.

Ryker said:

Very low compared to Adobe, much faster to startup AND it doesn't constantly prompt you for updates or to upgrade to the pro one.
It's what i use on all my machines

You can also turn off all the toolbars with a single key to view on a small netbook

jarednjames said:
Are resources really that critical?
Unfortunately, yeah, for me they are, because I've usually got a lot of stuff open and a lot of times they jam my computer as it is, so if two programs offer the same features then I'd much prefer to go with the less demanding one. Although, to be fair, usually it's not the memory, but rather the CPU that's the problem for me. Still, Nitro PDF Reader, for example, is logging 50MB memory usage, and I think that's a lot for something not offering *that* much. It does what I need it to, but I'd much rather support programs that are better written (ie. needing less resources for doing the same thing).

Oh, and thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

Related to A free .pdf reader software that lets you comment, mark words etc.

1. What is a free .pdf reader software?

A free .pdf reader software is a computer program that allows you to open and view files in the .pdf format without having to pay for it. This software is specifically designed to read and display PDF files, which are commonly used for documents, forms, and ebooks.

2. Can I add comments and mark words using a free .pdf reader software?

Yes, most free .pdf reader software have features that allow you to comment on and highlight text within the document. This is especially useful for annotating important points or making notes while reading.

3. How do I download a free .pdf reader software?

You can download a free .pdf reader software from the internet, either from the official website of the software or from a trusted software download site. Make sure to choose a reputable source to ensure the safety and reliability of the software.

4. Is a free .pdf reader software compatible with all devices?

Most free .pdf reader software are compatible with a wide range of devices, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. However, it is always best to check the system requirements of the software to ensure compatibility with your device.

5. Are there any limitations to using a free .pdf reader software?

While free .pdf reader software offer many useful features, they may have some limitations compared to paid versions. For example, some free versions may have limited editing capabilities or may display advertisements. However, these limitations are often minimal and do not significantly affect the overall functionality of the software.