A formula for calculating wind speeds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating wind speeds with limited information. The example given includes a 600lb object traveling 30 meters in one second due to wind. The speaker asks for more information, such as the coefficient of friction and geometric shape of the object, in order to accurately calculate wind speed. They also suggest using a lighter object to better gauge wind velocity. The question of why the object would stop after 30 meters is raised, leading to a discussion about the duration of the wind bursts.
promeus
This is pretty simple,but finding the correct formula does not seem to be that easy for me.

How could I calculate wind speeds with only having the distance an object moved over a certain amount of time and the weight of said object?

For example,winds caused a 600lb object to travel 30 meters in a second.

How would I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's really not enough information to tell you anything, other than that the wind speed would need to be at least 30 m/s (which is a pretty strong wind - that's almost 70mph minimum).

What else would be needed?Ok I will draw a model to better depict what I am talking about.

Alright, here we are.

XfOHW.png

The object moves on the floor? You need the coefficient of friction of the object on the ground, the surface area of the object in the wind and its geometric shape, in addition to the parameters you already have.

It is easier to you throw some light object in the air - it will fly with the velocity of the wind.

Why would the object stop after 30m? Is the wind blowing in short bursts? Then the distance will depend on the duration of the burst.

Related to A formula for calculating wind speeds?

1. What is a formula for calculating wind speeds?

The formula for calculating wind speeds is: V = U + W, where V is the wind speed, U is the wind velocity, and W is the wind direction.

2. How accurate is the formula for calculating wind speeds?

The accuracy of the formula depends on various factors, such as the measurement equipment used and environmental conditions. Generally, the formula provides a good estimation of wind speeds.

3. Can the formula be used for all types of wind?

Yes, the formula can be used for all types of wind, including steady winds, gusts, and turbulent winds.

4. Is the formula affected by altitude or elevation?

Yes, the formula takes into account the altitude or elevation of the measurement location. As altitude increases, wind speed tends to increase as well.

5. How is the formula for calculating wind speeds derived?

The formula is derived from the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and fluid dynamics. It takes into account various factors such as pressure, temperature, and air density to calculate wind speeds.