What is the derivative of a complex function?

In summary, the question is about finding the derivative of (z-i)/(z+i) at i. The formula used is f'(z0) = lim z->z0 [f(z) - f(z0)]/z - z0. Using this, the derivative is calculated to be 2i/(z+i)^2. After substituting i for z, the final answer is -i/2.
Pyrokenesis
I am having trouble with the following question, any help would be blinding.

Find the value of ther derivative of:

(z - i)/(z + i) at i.

I tried to use the fact that f'(z0) = lim z->z0 [f(z) - f(z0)]/z - z0. I also tried using the fact that z = x + iy and rationalising the denominator, but had no joy either way.

Probably just being stupid!

Dexter

Physics news on Phys.org
Well:
[tex]
F'[\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}] = \frac{f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{g(x)^{2}}
[/tex]
so then...
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left(\frac{(z - i)}{(z + i)} \right) = \frac{(z + i) - (z - i)}{(z-i)^{2}}
[/tex]
and if you order it...

[tex]
\frac{2}{(z-i)^{2}}i[/tex]

Last edited:
Cheers

Thanks.

I was being stupid, that formula and fact that differentiation rules for real calculus and complex calculus is the same, was on the previous page to that question.

no one is stupid here.

MiGui... I am confused as to why it is (z-i)^2 and not (z+2)^2... because you set your g(x)=z+i... g(x)^2=(z+i)^2... why the negative?

Thanks TheElectricChild.

Ebolamonk3y, I think MiGUi, just got the functions mixed up, an easy mistake to make. You are right, g(x)=z+i... g(x)^2=(z+i)^2, therefore, the answer is:

2i/(z + i)^2, which after substituting i for z, yields:

-i/2.

What is Complex Analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It explores properties and relationships of complex functions, including differentiation, integration, and series.

Why is Complex Analysis important?

Complex analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and more. It also has connections to other branches of mathematics, making it a fundamental subject for further study.

What are some key concepts in Complex Analysis?

Some key concepts in Complex Analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integrals, Laurent series, and residue theorem. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in this field.

What are some common techniques used in Complex Analysis?

Some common techniques used in Complex Analysis include differentiation, integration, series expansions, and the use of Cauchy's integral theorem and formula. Visualization techniques, such as mapping and conformal mapping, are also commonly used to understand complex functions.

What are some real-world applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has numerous real-world applications, including in signal processing, electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in fields such as economics, statistics, and computer science for data analysis and modeling.