A few very basics questions regarding 4 and 3 momenta and the trace of

In summary, the conservation of the 4-momentum in a closed system implies the conservation of the energy and of the 3-momentum.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi guys! I've got 2 extremely simple questions, hence a single thread.
First, I want to know whether the conservation of the 4-momentum in a closed system implies the conservation of the energy and of the 3-momentum.
Let's assume we consider 2 different times, ##t_i## and ##t_f##. Then ##P_i=(E_i/c,\vec p_i)=P_f=(E_f/c, \vec p_f)##. Where the E's are the energy at the 2 different times and the lower capital p's are the 3-momenta at those 2 different times.
Now each component of ##P_i## must be equal to each component of ##P_f## right? If so, it follows that ##E_i=E_f## and that ##\vec p _i = \vec p_f##. Is this correct?

Second question. I've "heard" that the trace of Faraday tensor is 0 and thus its diagonal entries are all 0. However the trace is definied as the sum of all the entries on the diagonal... so the fact that the trace is 0 does not imply that all the diagonal entries are worth 0. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes to your first question - all reasoning and conclusion is fine.

[edit: removed answer to second question, since you changed it while I was writing answer.]

trace=0 does not, by itself, require all diagonal entries to be zero.

As for the Faraday tensor, trace=0 is a coordinate independent statement. All diagonal elements zero is true in Minkowski coordinates, but not in general coordinates.

I see PAllen, thanks for the confirmations.
However I don't really understand your last statement
As for the Faraday tensor, trace=0 is a coordinate independent statement. All diagonal elements zero is true in Minkowski coordinates, but not in general coordinates.
. If it is coordinate independent, then how come it is not true with general coordinates?

fluidistic said:
I see PAllen, thanks for the confirmations.
However I don't really understand your last statement . If it is coordinate independent, then how come it is not true with general coordinates?

trace=0 is true in all coordinates.

All diagonal elements zero is not true in general coordinates. However, the trace will still be zero.

PAllen said:
trace=0 is true in all coordinates.

All diagonal elements zero is not true in general coordinates. However, the trace will still be zero.

Ah I see! Thanks a lot. (I had to reread).

Related to A few very basics questions regarding 4 and 3 momenta and the trace of

1. What is 4-momentum and how is it different from 3-momentum?

4-momentum is a physical quantity that describes the energy and momentum of a particle in four-dimensional space-time. It is different from 3-momentum, which only describes the spatial components of a particle's momentum in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the trace of a matrix related to 4-momentum and 3-momentum?

The trace of a matrix is related to 4-momentum and 3-momentum through the Lorentz transformation. The trace of a matrix is a scalar value that remains invariant under Lorentz transformations, which are used to convert between different reference frames in special relativity. 4-momentum and 3-momentum can be represented as matrices and the trace can be used to calculate their values in different reference frames.

3. Can the trace of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the trace of a matrix can be negative. The trace is the sum of the diagonal elements of a matrix and can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the values of the matrix's elements.

4. How is 4-momentum conserved in particle collisions?

4-momentum is conserved in particle collisions, meaning that the total 4-momentum before the collision is equal to the total 4-momentum after the collision. This conservation is a result of the laws of conservation of energy and momentum in physics.

5. Can the trace of a matrix be used to determine the energy of a particle?

No, the trace of a matrix cannot be used to determine the energy of a particle on its own. The trace is related to 4-momentum and 3-momentum, but additional information is needed to calculate the energy of a particle, such as its mass and velocity.