A few quick circuit questions, amps, norton's equivalent, etc

In summary: Overall, the Norton equivalent current should be lower than the short circuit current. In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to Norton's theorem and the maximum power theorem. The first question involves a current to voltage amplifier, but there is confusion about the given values. The second question is about finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance, which can be calculated using the formula Rth = Vth/Isc. The third question involves finding the Norton equivalent current, which can be calculated using the formula In = Isc.
sitting_duck

Homework Statement

Problems below in attached files.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton's_theorem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1) current to voltage amp question

Attempt:
if i1 is 2mA. Then 5(i1)=.01, therefore using voltage division Vo is equal to .005 volts? I thought this was an amplifier?

2) Max Power Question

How do i find the Thevin equivalent resistance? Isn't it the resistance in the circuit "looking back" from the terminals and shorting the voltage src? Then is 177.77ohm correct?Q3) Attempt:
To get a Norton equivalent i must short the terminals and see what current goes through them. How do I calculate this current? Is it 7amps? What affect does the 1ohm resistor have?

Attachments

• amp.JPG
    amp.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 376
  • MAxpower.JPG
    MAxpower.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 382
  • norton.JPG
    norton.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Q1) For the current to voltage amplifier question, it seems like there may be some confusion about the values given. It is not clear what the 5(i1) term represents. Can you provide more information or clarify the question?

2) To find the Thevenin equivalent resistance, you can use the formula Rth = Vth/Isc, where Vth is the Thevenin voltage and Isc is the short circuit current. To find Vth, you can use the voltage division formula with the 7V source and the 10 ohm resistor. To find Isc, you can short the terminals and find the current flowing through the 10 ohm resistor.

3) To find the Norton equivalent current, you can use the formula In = Isc, where Isc is the short circuit current found in part 2. The 1 ohm resistor will affect the current by reducing it, since it is in series with the 10 ohm resistor.

Related to A few quick circuit questions, amps, norton's equivalent, etc

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows electricity to flow through it. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, and various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, that manipulate the flow of electricity.

2. What is an amp?

An amp, short for ampere, is a unit of measurement for electric current. It represents the rate at which electricity flows through a circuit. One amp is equal to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

3. What is Norton's equivalent circuit?

Norton's equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a current source in parallel with a resistor. It is used to analyze and solve circuits using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws.

4. How do you calculate amps in a circuit?

To calculate amps in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that amps (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented as I = V/R. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node.

5. How can I improve circuit efficiency?

There are several ways to improve circuit efficiency, such as using components with lower resistance, minimizing the length of wires and connections, and reducing the number of components in a circuit. Additionally, using Norton's equivalent circuit can help identify areas of high resistance and optimize the circuit design for maximum efficiency.