A Few Questions (Can Someone Check My Work?)

In summary, the conversation is about various physics problems and their solutions. The person has posted a link to the problems and is seeking confirmation or help with any errors. The problems involve forces, motion, and acceleration. The person has provided their answers and is asking for feedback.
amcavoy
The following link shows the problems I have. I have solved them (hopefully); I just need some confirmation or someone to tell me where I went wrong. I'd appreciate it.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1143/examp17vm.jpg

1. I am going to say the answer is choice #2, mgsinθ up incline. This one seemed pretty obvious so I'm not going to write out my work unless someone thinks I am incorrect.

2. It didn't say that the banana is resting on anything, so I am going to say F3 only is the reaction force to F1 (answer choice #2).

3. At the highest point, the upward force is equal in magnitude to the downward force (0,-mg), so they cancel out meaning the weight is not involved. However, at the highest point, the baseball only experiences an x velocity, which is not a force (since there isn't accel.). Because of this, I am going to say answer choice #4 (no forces on the ball). However, it is difficult the way the question is worded. I could also say that there is a downward force, it is just matched (cancelled out) by the upward force. ??

4. Since the wedge is frictionless, the mass doesn't effect acceleration. m1 obviously experiences more accel. due to gravity because the angle is greater, so I am going to say choice #1 (m1 reaches the bottom first).

5. I figured the net force to be 20 N to the right. Now I divided by the total mass 3kg+2kg and came up with an acceleration of 4m/s2. I figured the force that m exerts of M is m*4=2*4=8N. Is this right or should I have multiplied the acceleration by the mass M instead?

I would really appreciate it if someone would comment on these. Thank you very much for your time and help :smile:

Attachments

• examp1.jpg
    examp1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
apmcavoy said:
The following link shows the problems I have. I have solved them (hopefully); I just need some confirmation or someone to tell me where I went wrong. I'd appreciate it.
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1143/examp17vm.jpg
1. I am going to say the answer is choice #2, mgsinθ up incline. This one seemed pretty obvious so I'm not going to write out my work unless someone thinks I am incorrect.
Yes, that's correct.
2. It didn't say that the banana is resting on anything, so I am going to say F3 only is the reaction force to F1 (answer choice #2).
Yes, that's correct also.
3. At the highest point, the upward force is equal in magnitude to the downward force (0,-mg), so they cancel out meaning the weight is not involved. However, at the highest point, the baseball only experiences an x velocity, which is not a force (since there isn't accel.). Because of this, I am going to say answer choice #4 (no forces on the ball). However, it is difficult the way the question is worded. I could also say that there is a downward force, it is just matched (cancelled out) by the upward force. ??
Where did you get the idea that "At the highest point, the upward force is equal in magnitude to the downward force"?
Once the ball has left the bat there is no upward force! Neglecting air resistance, there is only one force acting on the ball at any point in its flight.
4. Since the wedge is frictionless, the mass doesn't effect acceleration. m1 obviously experiences more accel. due to gravity because the angle is greater, so I am going to say choice #1 (m1 reaches the bottom first).
Yes, since they have to go the same distance, the one with the greater acceleration will reach the bottom first and that is m1.
5. I figured the net force to be 20 N to the right. Now I divided by the total mass 3kg+2kg and came up with an acceleration of 4m/s2. I figured the force that m exerts of M is m*4=2*4=8N. Is this right or should I have multiplied the acceleration by the mass M instead?
I would really appreciate it if someone would comment on these. Thank you very much for your time and help :smile:
You are correct that the net force is 20 N to the right and that the two masses move together with acceleration 4 m/s2.
Now, what net force on M (3 kg mass) would produce an acceleration of 4 m/s2? Since F1 is 20 N, what other force is necessary to give that net force?
Another way to do this problem is to look at m. What force on m (2 kg mass) would produce an acceleration of 4 m/s2 to the right? Since F2 is 10 N to the left, what other force is necessary to give that net force?

Last edited by a moderator:
-10 N + F3 = 8 N --> F3 = 18 N

Is this right? Thanks.

I was just looking at the question with the banana (#2) and realized that "none of the above" would be the correct answer because there's only one body involved. Is this right?

Thanks again.

Related to A Few Questions (Can Someone Check My Work?)

1. What is the purpose of "A Few Questions (Can Someone Check My Work?)"?

The purpose of "A Few Questions (Can Someone Check My Work?)" is to ask for assistance or feedback on a specific task or project.

2. Who can check my work?

Anyone can check your work, but it is recommended to seek help from a knowledgeable or experienced individual in the field related to your task or project.

3. How do I properly format my work for others to check?

It is best to follow any guidelines or formatting requirements set by the person or organization you are submitting your work to. If there are no specific guidelines, it is recommended to use a clear and organized format, such as bullet points or numbered lists, to make it easier for others to review your work.

4. Is it okay to ask for someone to check my work multiple times?

Yes, it is acceptable to ask for multiple checks or feedback on your work. However, it is important to be considerate of the other person's time and effort. It is recommended to only ask for multiple checks if you have made significant changes to your work or if you are struggling with a specific aspect of your task or project.

5. How can I show my appreciation for someone checking my work?

There are several ways to show your appreciation for someone checking your work. You can thank them directly, offer to return the favor and check their work in the future, or provide a small token of appreciation, such as a gift card or handwritten note. It is important to acknowledge and show gratitude for the time and effort someone has put into helping you.