A few questions about infraction?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
In summary, the duration of restricted access to the forums depends on the number of points on the member's account, and can range from 10 days for a temp ban to permanent for repeated infractions. The expiration period for low-point infractions is typically 3 months, but may vary. The Rules link at the top of the page provides more information on disciplinary action and consequences for rule violations.
moonman239
1) If I have x points on my account, how many days will I have restricted access to the forums?

2) When do the infractions expire?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out your control panel, "my pf", it should tell you how long the infractions are to last.

Pengwuino said:
Check out your control panel, "my pf", it should tell you how long the infractions are to last.

No, what I mean is, how long do infractions in general (not just the ones I've received) last?

moonman239 said:
No, what I mean is, how long do infractions in general (not just the ones I've received) last?

The most common expiration period for low-point infractions is 3 months, but it varies depending on lots of things. A temp ban is for 10 days, I believe. The Rules link at the top of the page addresses this too:

Disciplinary Action:

A member may be issued either a warning or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline noncompliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; warnings carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.

Related to A few questions about infraction?

What is an infraction?

An infraction is a type of offense or violation of a rule or law that is less serious than a misdemeanor or felony. It is typically punishable by a fine or other penalty, rather than imprisonment.

What are some examples of infractions?

Examples of infractions can include traffic violations such as speeding or running a red light, littering, jaywalking, underage drinking, or other minor offenses.

How is an infraction different from a misdemeanor or felony?

An infraction is typically considered less serious than a misdemeanor or felony. While these types of offenses may also involve breaking a rule or law, they are often accompanied by more severe penalties, including potential imprisonment.

Do infractions appear on a criminal record?

In most cases, infractions do not appear on a person's criminal record. This is because they are not considered serious enough to warrant inclusion on a record that is typically reserved for more serious offenses.

Can an infraction be challenged in court?

Yes, an infraction can be challenged in court. If a person wishes to dispute an infraction, they can usually schedule a hearing with a judge to present their case and potentially have the infraction dismissed or reduced.