Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A few glitches...

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
1. When I try to log in, it gives me an error message, but if I click on any other link everything will be fine with me logged in.

2. When I go to "Subscribed Threads", it always tells me the folder is empty, despite the fact that there are replies to threads I have subscribed to, if I go into New Posts.

3. When I try to post something in LaTeX, if I don't preview the post first, the LaTeX will not compile.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
1. When I try to log in, it gives me an error message, but if I click on any other link everything will be fine with me logged in.

2. When I go to "Subscribed Threads", it always tells me the folder is empty, despite the fact that there are replies to threads I have subscribed to, if I go into New Posts.

3. When I try to post something in LaTeX, if I don't preview the post first, the LaTeX will not compile.
For (3), post it and hit refresh. It compiles but you can't see it at first sometimes.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This is on the To-Do list for fixing.

In your Settings/General Settings, you have your Automatic Thread Subscription Mode set to "Do not subscribe". I'd recommend Instant Email Notification.

Help me out here: what is the exact sequence of events here: are you starting a post, entering some LaTeX, and then, even if you preview, the LaTeX doesn't compile? (Testing... I can do that, and it compiles.)

Markov

Feb 1, 2012
I have a huge glitch: when using firefox, the LaTeX renders okay for every preview, but when using Chrome, sometimes it doesn't render, however, when the thread or post is done, everything is rendered.

It's annoying because I can't see if I typed well the LaTeX stuff.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
This is on the To-Do list for fixing.

In your Settings/General Settings, you have your Automatic Thread Subscription Mode set to "Do not subscribe". I'd recommend Instant Email Notification.

Help me out here: what is the exact sequence of events here: are you starting a post, entering some LaTeX, and then, even if you preview, the LaTeX doesn't compile? (Testing... I can do that, and it compiles.)
No, I write some code, and usually if it's simple code I don't preview because I'm pretty sure it'll be right, so I just post. If I post without previewing, it looks as though the code does not compile. But if I preview first, it always compiles.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I have a huge glitch: when using firefox, the LaTeX renders okay for every preview, but when using Chrome, sometimes it doesn't render, however, when the thread or post is done, everything is rendered.

It's annoying because I can't see if I typed well the LaTeX stuff.
Reload the page and it should render, at least it seems to for me.

CB

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Can someone please explain the log in issue in more detail? I never have any problems.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
No, I write some code, and usually if it's simple code I don't preview because I'm pretty sure it'll be right, so I just post. If I post without previewing, it looks as though the code does not compile. But if I preview first, it always compiles.
Have you tried reloading the page after posting? If F5 doesn't work, try Shift-F5.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Can someone please explain the log in issue in more detail? I never have any problems.
I don't have problems, either. I remember janvdl said he had problems with the login - sounds like it might be the same as here. Maybe check with him?

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Glitch Number 1 is still glitching...

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Glitch Number 1 is still glitching...
Next time this happens please take a screenshot of your browser so we can see the error message and the attempted URL. At the very least write down the contents of the error message. Our new web host has superb customer support and they will certainly try to help us get to the bottom of the log-in errors.

We had a different problem that Krizalid clued me in on where if you would delete one of your posts by doing a Quick Edit -> Delete, then you would always see an error message with reference to the filename and line of the code. It would still delete but the repeated error was quite annoying and somehow it went away when we upgraded to vB 4.2.0.

Thanks for letting us know when errors do continue. I would never have known about the issue at all and certainly not that it is still around in some capacity without your feedback :)

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I logged out and logged back in, and didn't have a problem this time. But if it happens again I'll take a screenshot :)

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
The glitch glitched again...

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Is this the same error message you've always seen? I ask because we've made a lot of backend changes recently so I want to be able to eliminate those updates from the pool of potentials causes.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Is this the same error message you've always seen? I ask because we've made a lot of backend changes recently so I want to be able to eliminate those updates from the pool of potentials causes.
I don't know if it's the exact same message I've seen each time (my original post was months ago), sorry.